Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious to know will Dex cool work in the 929 for coolant. Later this year after I get back from my trip to the middle east I'm going to change my coolant. Anyone hear ever use Dex cool in their bike. If you cant use it why not? :huh:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Zhart said:
I'm just curious to know will Dex cool work in the 929 for coolant. Later this year after I get back from my trip to the middle east I'm going to change my coolant. Anyone hear ever use Dex cool in their bike. If you cant use it why not? :huh:
i would bet that it would be just fine but this is an area where for some reason i would rather just put what the bike had in it back in it which is the Honda premixed coolant

I take off the hose at the water pump, not sure which one without looking at it. With the bike cold I will run it with the hose off after it has drained to let it get all of the old stuff out. Then I put the garden hose up to the hose on the bike and seal it offbest I can with my hand and flush the entire system with clean water. Drain, run the bike again briefly to pump out whats left, then shut it off and use compressed air to push out whats left in the system. Put hose back on and start filling while running through the radiator. I think you can get nearly 2 of the Honda bottles of coolant in it. Or is it nearly 3 of them? Been at least 6 months since I did one of these bikes.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You can use it but make sure you flush it out very well like FullForce said because if you don't it can gel up and start to clog.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
make sure all the old coolent is flushed out, it wont mix with dexcool at all. THe big question is why, that stuff is a hell of a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
No silicates, right?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Make sure that you use a coolant with NO SILICATES in it. Look for that on the bottle. Silicates eat water pump seals. Also, DONT use TAP water or a GARDEN hose unless you buy about 5 gallons of steam distilled water to fluch the regular water out. Never use tap or garden hose water in any bike/car cooling system unless its an emergency, the minerals in it corrode the metals. Premix the new coolant with the distilled water and pour in. Add Water Wetter to your premix if you wish as well.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
CBRBob said:
Make sure that you use a coolant with NO SILICATES in it. Look for that on the bottle. Silicates eat water pump seals. Also, DONT use TAP water or a GARDEN hose unless you buy about 5 gallons of steam distilled water to fluch the regular water out. Never use tap or garden hose water in any bike/car cooling system unless its an emergency, the minerals in it corrode the metals. Premix the new coolant with the distilled water and pour in. Add Water Wetter to your premix if you wish as well.
I agree about not using tap water! The only advantage with using the hose, however, is that pressure will be applied to flush out the coolant. If I just continue pouring distilled water from a jug in the radiator with the bike running, will that flush it as thoroughly as a pressurized hose? I've done that before and it seemed to work ok. Just wondering what you guys do.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I've used the orange dex cool stuff in my RC and my 929. No problems, like it has been said, as long as it has no silicates, you are G-T-G!

·
Registered
453 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
I agree about not using tap water! The only advantage with using the hose, however, is that pressure will be applied to flush out the coolant. If I just continue pouring distilled water from a jug in the radiator with the bike running, will that flush it as thoroughly as a pressurized hose? I've done that before and it seemed to work ok. Just wondering what you guys do.
Now I do use the air hose to blow out the system so that its empty and dry before I fill it up with coolant. The Honda coolant already has the water in it so you dont have to worry about tap or distilled?

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
FullForce said:
Now I do use the air hose to blow out the system so that its empty and dry before I fill it up with coolant. The Honda coolant already has the water in it so you dont have to worry about tap or distilled?
Yeah, I use that. I'm talking about how best to flush out all of the antifreeze to put in water wetter for the track...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would vote *against* using Dex-Cool. When it first came out, They were claiming it was compatible with all existing systems. After a few months of that advertising, it suddenly went away, with no further word. Meanwhile, I had changed the green stuff in two cars and one motorcycle to Dex-Cool. Ok, fine. Then, a couple of years later, one of Car and Driver's editors wrote about coolant. It was a pretty technical piece, with an extensive interview with some "coolant scientist". One of the upshots is that Dex-cool and other extended life coolants are most certainly NOT compatible with all existing systems, and should NOT be used in systems not designed for it.

You pays your money and you takes your choice, but I wouldn't do it. I drained coolant out of three vehicles that afternoon.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
blastoff99 said:
I would vote *against* using Dex-Cool.

I looked in the owners manual and it says to use pro Honda coolant OR an equivalent high quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion protection inhibitors specifically recommended for use in aluminum engines. I'm going to put the Dex cool in. Its an alternative to the Honda brand antifreeze. I can get the Dex Cool cheaper than paying $5.50 a quart for the Honda antifreeze at the local stealership. Also its a thing with me about spending money for parts and fluids that are way overpriced at the local Honda dealership. I dont know what it is that place just seems to continuosly piss me off. Today I was there and one of the parts counter boneheads tells one of the salesman that his bike doesnt look as good as my 929 because he doesnt baby it. Parts bonhead then continues to tell salesman that he doesnt care about getting scratches anymore when he does stoppies. All this was said standing there infront of me as parts counter bonehead refers to my 929 in the parking lot. Alot of people including myself are tired of hearing shit like this and are looking for alternatives when it comes time to get fluids or do maint. to ourbikes. Besides, I would rather ask people questions here or ask what they did on spacific maint. issues here, I know I will get the truth here on this forum. :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts