Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hiya group

Consider the following situation.

Exiting a medium speed turn (K5) into the main straight at the local track. 2nd gear at about 8-9k, speed about 120-130 km/h.

As I (as gently as I can) wind up the throttle, the bike really tries to wiggle its head.

The main straight that follows the turn is somewhat short (i.e. about 580m, 200-220 km/h tops).

I've tried short-shifting into 3d gear, but this puts me out of the engine's sweet spot and I lose speed.

If I stay on the gas I spend 200 metres with the bike's front-end wiggling...

Although I am not 100% correct on my body positioning I'm pretty sure that I am almost there. Exiting the turn I keep my body to the inside, pushing my external peg, and countersteering a bit in order to get the bike as upright as possible as early as possible.

hmm.. now that I think of it maybe after exiting the turn I am doing something wrong while getting to the fully crouched position... and this is what upsets the bike...

Nevertheless, if my body positiong/input is correct (i.e. holding the bike with my feet, not pushing the bars etc.), will fitting a steering damper allow me to get on the gas harder?

cheers

local track layout

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have a Matris Pro 4 on mine. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have attended quite a few track days this season, and I have experienced the same thing you are describing... :crap: I can't say that the shakes were very scary, but from all I have been reading the line between having a small headshake and disaster is pretty thin... If I can afford it,I will order an ÖHLINS steering damper from DK or Cal Sportbike this winter.

:)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Have a Scotts on my '00 929 & toying around with the GBR on my '03 954. Both very good investments & well worth the money.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Having a damper sure takes the 'O CRAP' out of setting the front end back down after exiting a tight corner. 100% in favor of dampers! :thumb:

·
Registered
630 Posts
The Scott's damper I put on my 929 was the best aftermarket product I have ever owned, car or bike. It transformed the 929 blade.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I fitted a Scotts to mine about 6 months ago after getting a high speed tankslapper in a similar situation to the one Vader56 described and haven't had one since. The unexpected bonus is the feeling of control and stability in bumpy corners. I got mine for ~USD$300 via the FS section. I'd say they are mandatory on a 954.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I must be one of the fortunate ones. Ive never had a tankslapper on my 954 and i ride it very hard. maybe its the 110 kilos that stop it moving around :idunno:

·
Registered
3 Posts
vader56 said:
If I stay on the gas I spend 200 metres with the bike's front-end wiggling...

Although I am not 100% correct on my body positioning I'm pretty sure that I am almost there.
local track layout

I'll defer to the more experienced here, but have you set your sag?? Where are the forks in the clamps? What tires are you running?

If you lean forward the swapping may abate, but you shouldn't have to live w/ this issue, it is preventing you from properly attacking by giving you an extra thing to think about :eek:

To me it just sounds like you may need some more rake, i.e. drop the forks in the clamps and/or increase rear sag...

In my (limited) experience if you have a geometry issue a damper won't solve it...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input Hick,

I haven't done any lowering to the forks and I run Metzeler Racetechs K2 (great tyres btw)

I did a trackday yesterday and I tried working on my body positioning to counter the oscilations. It definately helped but I think you may be right concerning suspension setup and mainly sag.. **not properly adjusted**

I had some problems adjusting my sag in the past.. I must have posted on the old forums about it...if I recall corectly I couldn't adjust the rear sag properly due to my weight (100kg) and how this affected the sag characteristics...

Anyway...I'll try to work on that again this week and post about it...

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'm pretty close to your 100kg; I'm at 200lbs (~90kg?). I had a lot of front head-shake even when I leaned right over the front wheel - I had completely adjusted my riding position to keep the front planted that I always sit at the very front of the seat. I added a GPR damper this year (finally) and I can't say that I've had bad headshake this year; so it appears to have helped!
Definitely worth the $$. Worth as much as frame sliders! :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm close to 100kg aswell...never felf I need a damper running 36s-37s in serres track, but definitely I need an ohlins if I want something better...so far I am with 0,90 front Ohlins sprins, work perfect for my weight. Suspension has been set by I Proff so I dont bother

BTW megara sucks...
s..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts