Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've deleted the fuel pump on my SC28 for simplicity and weight. I understand a lot of people simply route the petcock directly to the carbs on SC28s to bypass the pump, but I'd like to do it properly with an OEM vaccuum operated petcock and I thought the SC33 would be a good place to start looking?

I also need a new tank petcock strainer but noticed the SC33 has a different part number than the SC28 for the strainer. Was hoping to just find a complete petcock/strainer assembly form an SC33 and bolt it into my SC28 tank.

Anyone have experience with this?

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,331 Posts
I've deleted the fuel pump on my SC28 for simplicity and weight. I understand a lot of people simply route the petcock directly to the carbs on SC28s to bypass the pump, but I'd like to do it properly with an OEM vaccuum operated petcock and I thought the SC33 would be a good place to start looking?

I also need a new tank petcock strainer but noticed the SC33 has a different part number than the SC28 for the strainer. Was hoping to just find a complete petcock/strainer assembly form an SC33 and bolt it into my SC28 tank.

Anyone have experience with this?
I had an SC33 petcock on my 93 due to deleting the fuel pump. It does fit, but the strainer is different because its longer on the SC28 due to a change in the hump on the tank. The SC33 strainer also changes the amount of reserve available due to the length of the brass inlet tube when it comes time to switch over. Its no big deal though, it was never a problem for me. The complete fuel valve assembly if still available from Honda should come with the strainer as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had an SC33 petcock on my 93 due to deleting the fuel pump. It does fit, but the strainer is different because its longer on the SC28 due to a change in the hump on the tank. The SC33 strainer also changes the amount of reserve available due to the length of the brass inlet tube when it comes time to switch over. Its no big deal though, it was never a problem for me. The complete fuel valve assembly if still available from Honda should come with the strainer as well.
Thanks for the help! So as suspected, the strainers should match the petcocks as their heights can vary. I was about to order a complete SC33 petcock assembly (with strainer) thinking they'd me the same price as the SC28, but it's more than triple!

Might have to try and find a used OEM SC33 petcock and order a new SC33 strainer.

Now I know the SC33 petcock fits, thanks. I'm assuming you also had the SC33 strainer with the SC33 petcock on your SC28?

·
7,331 Posts
Thanks for the help! So as suspected, the strainers should match the petcocks as their heights can vary. I was about to order a complete SC33 petcock assembly (with strainer) thinking they'd me the same price as the SC28, but it's more than triple!

Might have to try and find a used OEM SC33 petcock and order a new SC33 strainer.

Now I know the SC33 petcock fits, thanks. I'm assuming you also had the SC33 strainer with the SC33 petcock on your SC28?
Yes I did.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had an SC33 petcock on my 93 due to deleting the fuel pump. It does fit, but the strainer is different because its longer on the SC28 due to a change in the hump on the tank. The SC33 strainer also changes the amount of reserve available due to the length of the brass inlet tube when it comes time to switch over. Its no big deal though, it was never a problem for me.
Hey Ian, which plastic petcock lever did you use on the SC28 when using the SC33 petcock? Do they share the same "one corner rounded square" pattern? SC33 lever right length for SC28 frame? Arrow points in the correct direction if interchangeable?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I'm on ebay looking at magnesium valve covers... (long story, seller I bought other items from has a few cheap)

95-97 share same part number. 98-99 have a new part number.

But they all share the same gasket, way back to 1993...

What's happening?

Is the 98-99 superior design, or just a design change necessary for accommodating the different engine? Will it fit 93-97?

·
7,331 Posts
Hey Ian, which plastic petcock lever did you use on the SC28 when using the SC33 petcock? Do they share the same "one corner rounded square" pattern? SC33 lever right length for SC28 frame? Arrow points in the correct direction if interchangeable?
I used the SC33 arrow knob. Same knob and fit, and it doesn't have the giant "circle" of extra plastic all around it. Yes, arrow down is on.

·
7,331 Posts
So I'm on ebay looking at magnesium valve covers... (long story, seller I bought other items from has a few cheap)

What's happening?

Is the 98-99 superior design, or just a design change necessary for accommodating the different engine? Will it fit 93-97?
The cover is the same I guess 92-94 in aluminum, then 95 went to magnesium, then 98-99 went to having "MAGNESIUM" cast into it and the internal crankcase breather was changed slightly (the rise by cylinder #4 ). I know that as I powder coated both of mine, and had a ridiculously hard time sourcing a gasket for the crankcase breather diffuser cover on the inside of the cam cover.

Those are the only changes as far as I know. All years should work on any year.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used the SC33 arrow knob. Same knob and fit, and it doesn't have the giant "circle" of extra plastic all around it. Yes, arrow down is on.
Thank god, when I first got my SC28 I thought it had some crappy aftermarket knob on it, still find it hard to believe Honda designed that thing. The SC33 petcock I have on the way has the SC33 knob, fingers crossed it doesn't need a rebuild.

How/where do you recommend I tap into my vacuum lines for the new petcock? Any factory location I can steal a T off of?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

What's happening?

The cover is the same I guess 92-94 in aluminum, then 95 went to magnesium, then 98-99 went to having "MAGNESIUM" cast into it and the internal crankcase breather was changed slightly (the rise by cylinder #4 ). I know that as I powder coated both of mine, and had a ridiculously hard time sourcing a gasket for the crankcase breather diffuser cover on the inside of the cam cover.

Those are the only changes as far as I know. All years should work on any year.
Bi-mistakenly posted in this thread, meant to go in my other one. Will copy and paste these quotes. :)

·
7,331 Posts
Thank god, when I first got my SC28 I thought it had some crappy aftermarket knob on it, still find it hard to believe Honda designed that thing. The SC33 petcock I have on the way has the SC33 knob, fingers crossed it doesn't need a rebuild.

How/where do you recommend I tap into my vacuum lines for the new petcock? Any factory location I can steal a T off of?
I took one of the small Phillips screws out of the #2 port for where you hook up your vacuum gauges for a carb sync. I used a genuine Honda brass threaded nipple that you should be able to order from Partzilla. The SC28’s actually came with them (if it’s not missing like mine was) with a black rubber cap on them, but here is the part number. 16214-MB0-000

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hello Ian, Why did Honda provide only one brass nozzle? What test or setting is it for?

I've just swapped my vacuum balance port bolts for stainless ones.
#1 cylinder was a brass nozzle with a rubber cap.
#2-3-4 were all (corroded) Allen Bolts
To balance the carbs, I needed 4 nozzles to connect the tubes to all ports simultaneously.

So, what would the single OE nozzle be used for?

Attachments

·
7,331 Posts
Hello Ian, Why did Honda provide only one brass nozzle? What test or setting is it for?

I've just swapped my vacuum balance port bolts for stainless ones.
#1 cylinder was a brass nozzle with a rubber cap.
#2-3-4 were all (corroded) Allen Bolts
To balance the carbs, I needed 4 nozzles to connect the tubes to all ports simultaneously.

So, what would the single OE nozzle be used for?
Hi Duncan, no reasonable explanation at all I'm afraid. It serves no purpose at all on its own.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Man, if I could dial him up I would.....:angel
I think that Baba-san is hiding out on this website under an assumed name!

At one point - due to the immense knowledge and helpfulness of a certain President - I thought that he might be pretending to be based in Connecticut, USA ........ your secret is safe with me. :wink

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi Duncan, no reasonable explanation at all I'm afraid. It serves no purpose at all on its own.
My final thought on the Brass Nozzle is: "Was it used for a manufacturing hot or cold test?"

I refuse to believe that the person in charge of the blanking plugs didn't know that the fuel tap wasn't going to need a vacuum tube, made up for this mistake by putting a rubber cap & clip on it. This is Honda during the late 80s/early 90s!

So, if it isn't needed during its service life ......... it must have been needed for something in the factory.

Yes, that is my final answer. :wink

1 - 17 of 17 Posts