Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2000 I plan to buy? Purchasing a 2000 SP1 next weekend... needs some cosmetics, as well as exhaust. Rogue has little good to say about the jardine 2-1 system, and these FMF ones on eBay seem to be a good deal. Will they work on a 2000? Seems that a lot of other 2000 and 2001 parts are interchangable...

FMF HONDA RC51 DUAL TITANIUM P-CORE S MUFFLER 01-05

·
Registered
85 Posts
2000-2001 model RC51 is the same. It's called the Sp1 so parts will be the same/interchangeable. 2002 and later are called Sp2 and some parts may be different. As long as the exhaust is made for the RC51, sp1 or sp2, it should fit. It may be a good price, but might not be the best performance wise. If you're just looking for something cheap, and it's made for the RC51, go for it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If there's a Jardine 2:1 system on there now you'll need to pick up the stock exhaust header as well. Haven't heard to much about the FMF exhausts, but for that price they probably are a decent option. You may want to make sure on the exhaust compatibility though, as 01-05 is an odd year listing to see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked bikebandit, and the part nos for 2000 and 2001 exhausts are identical, so they should work. THe RC51 I plan to buy has dented stock exhausts, and the headers look OK but are a bit rusty. If I decide to go this way, the FMFs should work fine.

Aside from the mid-range dip (which some say the flapper valve mod takes care of), are there any other reservations about going with the Jardine 2-1? My intent is mainly cosmetic (to be honest).

Can't wait to get my RC!:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think there are some other dyno charts on the other rc site(51 org maybe?). Did not look to good, very different to the jardine one. Big'ish dip in midrange if i remember right. I think they had a dyno from another maker and it was similar.
Check out the site as i may be remembering wrong.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have not seen side by side comparison charts from the same dyno for the FMF and the Satos that seem that are considered top performers by most. I think the FMFs came out a bit later when other manufacturers had already established their fame on the RC51. Quality wise I find FmF being really good when considering the weight savings. It is easier to perform good welding on thicker gauge metal and refinish the weld afterwards than to do it on really thin metal (al, ti, ss). Considering the dominance in MX 450 singles FMF had established 2:2 on a 1000 is very close to where their expertise was.

Then there is the huge effect of looks on the bike and each has his own. I like my skinny Erions (louder than I'd like) and the curve they have on the midpipe going to the cans, even though I find my boot heel getting melted by that same pretty curve :)

2000-2001 model RC51 is the same. It's called the Sp1 so parts will be the same/interchangeable. 2002 and later are called Sp2 and some parts may be different. As long as the exhaust is made for the RC51, sp1 or sp2, it should fit. It may be a good price, but might not be the best performance wise. If you're just looking for something cheap, and it's made for the RC51, go for it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
When were these fmf's designed and manufactured?

When I had an R1, I bought an fmf slip on for it and was less than impressed with the build quality. It had an inch long crack on the tip after only about a week of being on the bike. I've heard that this was only a problem with the earlier street bike pipes they put out though. I would still stick with a trusted manufacturer for the RC, you can pick up new jardine's on ebay for a good price, and used sato's pop up all the time for cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts