Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked it on an incline (nose down). The wind came from behind and to the right, and pushed the bike enough to fold the kickstand and push the bike over.

Thank heavens, the previous owner put frame sliders on it. There's not a scratch on the fairing, tank or signals. The left mirror, crank case cover, passenger foot rest and handle bar end...and the frame slider got scratched up a little. Falling on the right side (exhaust can) would've been worse.

If anyone has a bike without sliders, you need them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I knew it was going to happen, I guess I could've backed into the spot. I was in a parking spot, on the street, in front of a pet store. I also could've gone over the curb, across the sidewalk, and parked beside the building. I just didn't expect the wind to gust that high.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
:whine: I feel your pain, my bike whent down because the stand dug into the pavement, shit happends
1pcbr said:
If I knew it was going to happen, I guess I could've backed into the spot. I was in a parking spot, on the street, in front of a pet store. I also could've gone over the curb, across the sidewalk, and parked beside the building. I just didn't expect the wind to gust that high.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
l'timbré is right putting it in gear on a hill. And also when it gets hot and the kickstand start to sink into the ground one of the little kickstand pads work great, or a thin piece of wood if you're cheap.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know why, but I've never thought it was important to leave the bike in gear. I will from now on.

Are frame sliders sold separately, or only in pairs?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
1pcbr said:
I don't know why, but I've never thought it was important to leave the bike in gear. I will from now on.

The MSF course teaches you to leave your bike in gear when parking. :nono:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You can take a sand paper to your frame slider and make it look ok, but with the damage you described if you replace I would get the longer ones...
1pcbr said:

·
Registered
286 Posts
That is some crappy luck right there. If mine had been out yesterday with the wind storm that hit here, I would probably have been right there with you though. Mother nature is just not friendly to two wheelers.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I had an earthquake knock one of my bikes over a long time ago, but it was a cb550 and didn't do any damage.

I always leave my bike in gear when I park. I'm a creature of habit.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
TraumaOne said:
so this does happen to other people!
his was gravity I bet more than wind. And I doubt it was a helicopter that caused the gravity.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CBR929RE said:
his was gravity I bet more than wind. And I doubt it was a helicopter that caused the gravity.
The incline was just a few degrees. I would guess 3 or 4. I haven't parked it in neutral since, and for good measure, I try to park it facing into the wind. If you stand to the left of the bike and pull on the right handle bar, it's not hard to raise the back tire off the ground. I still believe a 40-45 mph gust could blow it over. That's fairly common in thunderstorms around here.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
It was gusty around here today but I still have hard time thinking that would do it. Hell, I have had bikes go through the remnants of a hurricaine here... No problem.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have a freestyle ingenuity crash cage. IT saved my bike in a big way. The ew design lets you get low into the corners too. IF it wasnt for the cage MY biek would have been totalled. instead I broke a right clip on and scratched the windscreen and the tail section. Now That I I re-did the bike now it is one of a kind and looks sweet accidents are always a bad thing that is why alot of bikes look as good as they do

·
Registered
18 Posts
To the best of my knowledge you can only buy frame sliders in pairs. It also depends on what type you had to begin with. I have freestyle ingenuity sliders and you can purchase just the caps for them. Look into it and sorry bout your luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts