Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm looking for a utility that can format drives to Fat32... the key is that it has to support partitions larger than 32GB (A WinXP format utility limitation :rolleyes:)

I can do this by booting into Linux, however, I'd prefer to have a WinXP utility.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
nomad said:
Hi All,

I'm looking for a utility that can format drives to Fat32... the key is that it has to support partitions larger than 32GB (A WinXP format utility limitation :rolleyes:)

I can do this by booting into Linux, however, I'd prefer to have a WinXP utility.

Suggestions?
the Disk management applet?

To format a basic volume
Open Computer Management (Local).
Right-click the partition, logical drive, or basic volume you want to format (or reformat), and then click Format.
Select the options you want, and then click OK.
Notes

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
In the console tree, click Disk Management.
Where?

Computer Management (Local)
Storage
Disk Management

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
figment said:
the Disk management applet?
*bzzzz* Alex Trebek says that although your answer was in the form of a question, it is incorrect. As per my above note, MS utilities do not let you format >32GB drives with Fat32.

I believe the actual limitation of fat32 is 2 terabytes, however, I only need a 40GB drive done. What a nuisance.

Thanks for the suggestion... keep 'em coming. Any other tools?

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314463

You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it. Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know partition magic has come a long way since I used it back in 1996... however, partition magic blew away my computer and everything on it back then and I have refused to use their software since. Call me bitter.

No other aftermarket format utils?? COME ON.... arg.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I used to have a program called partition-it from QuarterDeck but they were bought out my symantec. Not sure if symantec kept it going or intergrated it into one of their products. Have a look in the symantec site and see if there is anything there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts