Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
This is my first entry in this forum and not a nice one. Being used to drive the 925 year -00 w/o any problem at all I now have a 954 -02 which is very unsteady. After a short wheelie it wobbles a lot. But in straight driving I notice nothing up to 260 km/h. I am very interested in anyones opinion and experience in this unfortunate matter. I think it might be a material error from production and don't know how realy to investigate.
torlju

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Sounds more like a wheelie problem than a production error.

Check to see if the rim is bent, lost wheel weights, etc.

·
Registered
564 Posts
check steering head for tightness, there is an updated steering bearing setup as well, there will be a punch mark in front of or after the vin if the campaign has been completed. also, a damper will correct this problem as the "54" has a very sharp steering angle and wheelies will agravate the chassie causing headshake. p.s. put the front wheel down very straight. not that i would know about such practices............

·
Registered
461 Posts
Don't stunters ride on wrecked bikes with flat tires? Maybe your bike is too nice for that sort of behavior and it is shaking its angry head. :idunno:

·
Registered
94 Posts
wobbles while on one wheel, or after you set it down? If it's while you're up on one wheel, maybe the rear tire is squared off.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Check the rear tire alignment in addition to the comments above regarding the steering head bearings. Something is wrong. The 954 without a steering damper sometimes shakes its head under certain conditions, but not at high speed in a straight line.

My calculator says that 260 km/hr is 161 MPH... is that right? If you're having stability problems and you're riding on a track at that speed you're endangering other riders. If you're doing it on the street, you have more problems than I can help you with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This bike has a steering damper. In second gear around 80 km/h a quick twist of my right hand brings the front wheel up, doesn't it on yours? When in touch with the road again this bike wobbles.
Speeding on straight empty roads is easy for everyone, speeding around corners and in traffic is done by the inmortals.

·
Registered
564 Posts
huh, my five four really doesn't throttle wheelie under power in second unless i bounce the suspension, and i weigh 155 lbs. huh, my five four must be down on power???

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
It sounds like you are setting the front wheel down crooked.

And no, I don't pull wheelies on the street. On the track is another story though. I just can't seem to get through the quarter mile without the bike carrying the front.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
"The 954 without a steering damper sometimes shakes its head under certain conditions, but not at high speed in a straight line."

Only after we got it dialed a bit over stock. My 929 used to shake like James Bond's martinis before I spent some serious time getting the geometry together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i recently experianced my first headshake ever on my 954. I wasn't trying to wheelie or anything i just happened to twist the throttle back on a bumpy road and hit a groove in the road which forced my front wheel to go up and when it touched ground the handle bars started shaking like crazy. The shaking was so bad that my left side barend became a little loose. I don't ever want to go through that again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well regarding wheelies and all that other crazy stuff, i promised my self that going forward I will be respect the 954 more and not try any crazy or skilled manuevers untill my riding skills have improved and i have gained more experiance.

·
Yep...that would hurt ya!
1,088 Posts
You shouldn't be riding wheelies. Motorcycles were designed to have BOTH tires on the ground. Maybe you fu**ed it up slamming the pavement.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I love all the anti-wheelie comments. Hypocrites.

There is not one person on this board that has not over-twisted the grip and lifted the front wheel on the street. I'm included in that group.

I don't condone pulling any high performance manuevers on the street, but I have jumped in the left lane to pass before, grabbed a handfull of throttle and slightly lofted the front through a portion of the pass. Was it anything intentional or spectacular? Nope. I doubt the driver of the car even noticed that the wheel was a few inches off the ground.

Ahhhh, the power of the CBR.

And no, I'm not contradicting any previous comments I have made.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
carrying the front a couple inches up is a lot different than riding a full on wheelie.

if you put that wheel down crooked and don't power it down smoothly you're definetly gonna get some headshake. try turning the damper up or better yet don't do the wheelie.

·
Yep...that would hurt ya!
1,088 Posts
Come ON Custom.... you know you hold the Georgia record for the longest wheelie on a freeway!!! With tennishoes, a t-shirt, and even some ripped bluejeans!!!
:smilierr:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts