Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...after a day of racing. Being at the track is a blast despite how well you race!

I didn't do too well "place wise", but I turned some faster lap times, and am feeling better.

I was worried about my back tire as it's about due to get replaced, when in T3, on lap one someone tried to T-bone me at the apex. Really effed w/ my head. I stood up and rode into the grass thinking that my tire let go. I didn't find out until later that someone actually hit me and we both went off into the grass. Seems the dude has a history of this as well. :rant:

Anyway, neither of us went down but I was tentative thinking that the back tire was fried and I was just cruising trying to collect the points and hang onto 2nd in the "whack pack" for Novices. Guess who is in third? Yep, the dude that hit me. I don't think it was intentional, but pisses me off nonetheless.

Anyway, had a blast and am just glad that myself or any of my crew went down.

Oh, 2nd race of the day someone blew a motor and oiled the track from the kink through T12. About 5 guys went down. It was aweful, but no one seriously injured thankfully. That also was messing w/ my head. The track was fine after much oil dry and volunteering from crowd/crew. But it looked different and I was still taking it a little easy through T12.

All in all a success.

HD

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
almost sounds like you slowed down and gained some time for yourself.

keep up the good work. how far are you from first and how many races left?

glad you didn't go down either. I don't want your father's paint work getting all scratched up.:D

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks man. My fastest lap of the day was prolly a full sec and a half over last month. Too bad it was in practice. :crap:

Anyway, I'm currently 2nd in points for 600 Superbike w/ the guy in 3rd hot on my heels. If we finish in the same points next month as we did this past weekend, we'll be tied, but the place will prolly go to him as he's placed higher more often (he missed 2 races to my 1).

In Unlimited Superbike (liter bikes, close to "run what ya brung") I'm also 2nd in points. Again w/ 3rd hot on my heels. If we finish next month in the same points, I'll take it by 1 point.

Going to have to get new tires for next month. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Way to go, D!

--Just think how much faster you'd be if you had gone to Fireblades this year..

:D

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
where were you racing... what org do you race... i race ccs SE region
Fasttrax at Nelson Ledges. Don't be fooled by my posts. It's very small scale club racing.

A guy asked me Sunday if I'd done any WERA races. My answer was basically "I'd get killed". The fast guys in my org, are mid-pack WERA pace. My pace puts me waaaayyyy back on in a WERA race. Maybe in a couple of years.

HD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey H-D,

I found this picture of us going into T12 from our race in September. :rotfl: It was taken during the Unlimited Superbike race.
I can't wait for the season to start back up! :thumb:

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yea that was the incident. I was racing Sammy (#13) for second. Sam Gage was leading. The very next picture shows me going thru the grass between 12 and 13. I got back on the track near the pit entrance. I lost a position to Jonathan Peters and finished 4th. In hind sight, I shouldn't have been so aggressive there. I still had time to make another run on Sammy. Live and learn. :O
I was just going thru the pictures taken in 2006 to make a slide show. When I came across this one. I thought of you and thought you might like to see. :eyebrows:

Mike

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So everyone else knows the situation we are referring to. First note that Mike142RR's number plate is white. And mine is yellow. Dude is freakin' fast. When he goes by you on that Honda w/ the Honda leathers, you'd swear is was freakin' Duhamel or Zemke. Seriously.

Anyway, in the pic you can see me crawling through T11 on the race line. T11 is right at the end of the back straight at Nelson and is pretty fast. I just haven't figured it out yet. Mike was chasing someone else for a position, and caught me right about the time we both needed to be going through T11. He tried to get to the inside of me b/c going the long way around the outside probably wouldn't have worked. Well, inside didn't really work either and had he not stood the bike up and sacrificed some positions he'd have T-boned me and taken both of us out.

Pretty sure that would've sucked. But the lesson to be learned here is actually for me more than Mike. See if I'd been paying closer attention I'd have realized that the leaders had just gone by and assumed that others were to follow. Since I wasn't racing for a position I could afford to take the slower line and leave room for a faster guy to come though. Sort of like assuming a blue flag.

Lesson for everyone else to learn from.

And thanks to Mike for his candor when I asked. Everyone, welcom Mike142RR. Stand up guy. Fast guy.

HD

1 - 20 of 24 Posts