Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the cliffnotes version of the story.....

Back in November Company A, which is actually owned by Company B hires me as a help desk/desktop technician. Between then and now tons of crap hits the fan, Company B actually gets bought up by Company C, an investment firm, everybody's freaking out, etc etc etc.

Company A recently decides that they're sick of the corporate BS and they're gonna quit and start a new company and go back to their old ways. Company B who is technically my employer hires a new director a few weeks ago to start working things out because Company A is leaving and Company B and C will be left with no IT department.

Since Company A is leaving, that leaves me and another guy, codenamed Slingblade, and the new director to run the show here. We have over 30 offices spread over 5 states, and this network is the biggest rats nest I've ever seen, and I've seen a few. Any of you that are in IT know that this cannot be a pretty situation, and it's not. Not even close to it. On top of that, the director is not a very technical person as he's been a director for 8 years, and English is a second language for him. "Slingblade" is worthless. He can't even install a network printer without asking for help. Doesn't call people back, ignores problems, etc :rant: Guess who gets to clean up his litter? :rant: :rant: Oh yeah, he also makes more than I do, and he's supposed to be my manager :rolleyes:

The director came into my office this morning, and we sat and talked for about an hour. He flat out asked me if I plan on leaving with Company A. So I came back and asked him what kind of a future I have here. From there the conversation evolved into him basically saying that I can do whatever I want here. He wants me to help him rebuild the network, implement new systems, etc etc. So I basically just got offered a systems admin/engineer job :eek: The transition will take months obviously, as I'll have to learn the ins and outs of the current system so we can maintain it while we look at new things and bring them in. I've had tons of ideas, and since the conversation has ended my mind has gone into top gear to try and figure out what we need to do first.

This is one hell of an opportunity for me, I'm gonna take it and run like hell. It's some serious experience to be gained, and an awful lot to learn. Those of you that pray, keep me in your prayers 'cuz I'm gonna need it. This is truly a blessing, I'm very very excited about this opportunity :clap: :cool:

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Red Rider said:
Congrats. Did you discuss compensation?

Not yet. I figured I'm better off learning everything before I do that, this way I have something to bring to the table. If things don't work out, I can always revert back to my current position, or find a job elsewhere, without getting fired from here since it hasn't really cost them anything for me to learn this stuff. Also, this way I can walk in and say this is what I know, this is the title I want, and this is the pay I want. If they say no I can walk with a solid knowledgebase and find a job elsewhere, and they're screwed.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Sounds like you've really thought it through. Just remember...don't underestimate your value to the company. If you're good, they'll want to compensate you fairly so as not to lose you.

You ARE coming to Grattan, right?

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Red Rider said:
Sounds like you've really thought it through. Just remember...don't underestimate your value to the company. If you're good, they'll want to compensate you fairly so as not to lose you.

You ARE coming to Grattan, right?
Don't worry, I'm not shy. I know that if I'm gonna make any money, it'll be with the initial discussion/offer. I'll be lucky to get anything out of them afterwards. That's not just here, but everywhere.

And I'm definitely coming to Grattan :smilebig:

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
ND4SPD said:
Not yet. I figured I'm better off learning everything before I do that, this way I have something to bring to the table. If things don't work out, I can always revert back to my current position, or find a job elsewhere, without getting fired from here since it hasn't really cost them anything for me to learn this stuff. Also, this way I can walk in and say this is what I know, this is the title I want, and this is the pay I want. If they say no I can walk with a solid knowledgebase and find a job elsewhere, and they're screwed.
I'd be careful trying to get paid on the backend of a job. If they already have from you what they need, there is no motivation to pay you more.

Sounds like you could easily say "You want me to do x, y, and z. That's fine. I welcome the opportunity, but I have some stipulations. They are a) pay me $x, get rid of Slingblade, and make me the manager of whoever you hire."

My opinion, and it is easy for me to talk b/c it's not my ass on the line. But you may want to think about it.

HD

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heavy-Dee said:
I'd be careful trying to get paid on the backend of a job. If they already have from you what they need, there is no motivation to pay you more.

Sounds like you could easily say "You want me to do x, y, and z. That's fine. I welcome the opportunity, but I have some stipulations. They are a) pay me $x, get rid of Slingblade, and make me the manager of whoever you hire."

My opinion, and it is easy for me to talk b/c it's not my ass on the line. But you may want to think about it.

HD
I'm not going to ask for all this at the back end of the job. I'm gonna ask for it before we start on anything new, but after I learn the current system. Sorry if I wasn't clear...

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
figure out what we need to do first
Understanding what position you are in, just keep these things in the back of your mind for the time being:

(1) A retention bonus is not out of the question, and is quite customary in such circumstances.
(2) Get any promises made to you in writing. In fact, what you should do RIGHT NOW is send this director an e-mail as a follow-up to your discussion, restating what you covered, and ask him to respond with his confirmation. You can play it down by saying something like "I just want to make sure that we're on the same page, etc., etc. Please let me know if I've got this right." or something to that effect.
(3) Watch your back. ;)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Heavy-Dee said:

HD
:wstupid:

GO for it! Congrats!

J

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
All the best to ya pal, and I partially agree with Heavy-Dee. If they are offering you this opportunity, they already see value in the change, so don't be shy. I know what you're saying though. I've felt the same way at times.

BTW, I was thinking, 30 offices over 5 states, man there's an opportunity for mega riding on the company expense.

EG, the company I work for has plants in NC, SC, LA, VA, DE, etc. I haven't travelled to them all, but when I go somewhere I get a chance to ride for hours, while getting paid my wage (I usually travel one day my time and one on company time), plus $0.37 / kilometer (that's like $0.59 / mile). So, a trip to Louisiana or South Carolina works out to some decent bucks.

Not trying to jack your thread, just saying this may be hidden benefit you may not see. I like it.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Pete said:
Understanding what position you are in, just keep these things in the back of your mind for the time being:

(1) A retention bonus is not out of the question, and is quite customary in such circumstances.
(2) Get any promises made to you in writing. In fact, what you should do RIGHT NOW is send this director an e-mail as a follow-up to your discussion, restating what you covered, and ask him to respond with his confirmation. You can play it down by saying something like "I just want to make sure that we're on the same page, etc., etc. Please let me know if I've got this right." or something to that effect.
(3) Watch your back. ;)
OK Pete, who wrote this for you?? :huh:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Good luck man. Bite off as much as you can chew then overachieve on it.

Negotiate beyond just money...
vacation
benefits (parking/health/game tickets/whatever/women... lots of options out there)
Title (Not important until you change companies)
Manager vs. Techie status (Even if you manage only yourself)
Training training training
Stock options/discounts (sounds shaky to buy but options are options)
travel expenses
mobility (i.e. work from home ability etc.)

Don't be the guy that gets promoted until the point he is incompetent. That bugs me.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Pete said:

(3) Watch your back. ;)
Good advice.

Keep in mind that the folks leaving will do what they can to sabotage the systems... passwords go "missing", hardware goes "missing", disks get formatted, plugs are undone. All of these things can submarine your best intentions and change your "1 year turnaround" into a "5 year turnaround" program.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Pete said:

(3) Watch your back. ;)
Yes. ND, you are at your highest value during the rebuild of the network...like right now. Once things are running smooth you have less value. I know it's tricky, but you should negotiate now for at least a written contract of promises. I have been promised all sorts of shit and never seen it.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Sounds like a great opportunity, definitely something that I'd go after but here are a few tips from some who is doing this on a smaller scale (its a great feeling isn't it :thumb: ). Most of this stuff you probably already have in mind.

1. Setup a trouble ticket system to help track problems (no more forgetting) and demonstrate who is doing the work. Also look into Asset Auditing for software licensing and Asset tracking for all items. (track consumerables usage patterns and setup Nagios or the like to monitor system uptime and alert you to any outages).

2. Spend a lot of time getting all the network and system doco in order and to a reasonable state. Ensure that it is maintained into the future, and EVERY SINGLE change is added / amended the second it changes.

3. Don't be afraid to yank all the wires and put them back in an orderly manner with labelling. It will help you in the long run.

4. Time doing item 3 with other upgrades or maintenance to minimise downtime.

5. Get a decent lackey, who has initiative and can work stuff out themselves reducing the reliance on you for the lackey jobs. Leaving you to deal with the bigger stuff.

6. TAKE PARTICULAR NOTE: Under no circumstances offer to help people with their home computers. It opens up a nasty set of problems, and once done once it opens the flood gates for all, which is going to be a huge drain on your time which will become no existent. Definitely wishing I put my foot down earlier.

7. In the first major upgrade project ensure that you get the absolute best deal you can and it exceeds expectations, this will setup their trust for future projects which don't need to be as cost effective and can take on other priorities like timeliness and bonus features which will save you pain in the future.

8. Probably heaps more stuff but you'll work it out.

I’ve also got a great book you should read as you take on this roll, its at work, I’ll post the name up tomorrow. Make sure you PM if I forget.

This is going to be a huge task to do but your going to love every second of it and its going to be YOUR network. Nothing like being able to stand back and admire your handy work with pride. The best roles are the ones that you create yourself!

Also see if you can get the title of Infrastructure Architect, should fit your tasks and these guys are usually in a higher salary bracket as well. :thumb:

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the tips guys. Some I've already thought of, some I haven't. If you have anymore, keep 'em coming.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts