Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's hear your stories - I think the worst I ever heard about was a guy from Grattan who bought a grey market TZ250 from Japan - the reseller filled the master brake cylinder with oil!!! :eek: :eek: yes he got a sweet discount...

Personally I've left a screwdriver in the airbox of my 125 while I went out and did a few laps :clap:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
One of our team members took his TZ out for practice at the first race of the season (late March) and forgot to but any water in the bike. After 3 laps he came in because the Daytona temp guage said HOT in big letters and he thought it was broken. I should point out that I always had to ask him if he had checked his tires and turned the petcock on before every race.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Bike: Didn't get the right clip-on tightened enough and it slid down enough that the tab didn't hold it in place and it rotated around a little. Luckily was at a track day and not racing...

Truck: Left a rag stuffed in the intake when putting it back together. It sure didn't like that much. :O :smilebig:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
ConqSoft said:
...there was this guy a Grattan once that ran a couple of laps with a washer bouncing around loose inside his engine...
It was the airbox first. ;) And, it was my worst, though in my defense, it started out tight... :D

Working in a mechanic shop I got to see some pretty good ones. A guy rebuilt a motor and left a rag in the oil pan, it wrapped around the pick up and killed the new motor.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
When I was 11, I fixed a flat on my bicycle and took off through the fields to test it out. I found out after flying off a jump that I hadn't tightened the bolts on the front wheel. I subsequently found out what it feels like to go through a barbed wire fence.

I've been somewhat safety conscious ever since. 40 years later, and I can still see the scars.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
This ones pretty embarassing. My F3 was leaking a bit of oil around the alternator and oil pan. Took it apart and replaced the gaskets. Put it all back together and tried starting it up. Turned it over a couple times then the battery died (so I thought). Charged it up and it did the same thing. Tried my 954 battery in it. Same thing. There were no unusual noises but I thought man I better take a look under the alternator cover. Took it off and looked in and low and behold there's aluminum shavings ALL over inside :eek: :sless: I looked closer and here the starter idler gear was flopping around and had ground into the case pretty dang far.. :eek: Here when I took the cover off the metal dowel the gear sits on had fallen out (without me hearing it) and fallen to the floor with my other sockets. Now when I looked around for it, I missed it like 3 or 4 times as it looks EXACTLY like a 1/4" deepwell socket... :rant: Luckily I was able to put it back in, flush out the shavings, change oil and filter a couple times and it seems to be ok.....it's now leaking oil again as I wrecked the gasket so I had to use RTV...so now I have to do it all over again..let me tell ya was I embarrassed and pissed off at the same time!! I'll never do that again..

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Did the front brakes on my '88 Ranger when I was 16 and I forgot to tighten the lugnuts on the LF wheel. Lost the wheel about 15mi. later. I guess I have an excuse tho since one of my buddies dad died from a massive heart attack that weekend. Then again, I shouldn't have been doing brakes in that condition :idunno: Live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Maybe not the worst ever, but funny.

I worked at a service station.

Customer's cars had to be brought in each night.

A car sat out at the edge of the lot. I got in, fired it up, and tried to drive it into the garage bay.

Motor ran funny. Kept dying. I kept trying.

Almost had it to the door, when flames shot up from the hood.

Opened hood, with motor still aflame, to find that the darned thing had no carb! The gas line was squirting into the open intake manifold hole where the carb was supposed to be.

All four extingishers in the garage were, well, already extinguished.

A passerby helps us out with a tiny fire extingisher. We saved the car, save for a few charred wires.

Station owner refuses to reimburse the good samaritan for his extinguisher.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Back in my days working with the L-1011, an Eastern airlines mechanic took out the magnetic chip detectors for an inspection and then put some clean ones back in. On the next flight from England to florida the no. 2 engine has low oil pressure, so they shut it off. 1 hour later the no. 1 engine has low oil pressure, but they leave it going since the no. 2 is already off. Another hour and the no. 1 siezes up. Another couple of hours and the final engine, no. 3 siezes up. The jet is at 30,000 feet and loosing altitude fast. The pilot frantically restarts the no. 2 engine (previously manually shut down) with only 10,000 feet left till splashdown. They managed to limp home on one engine and that engine siezes on touchdown. It turns out the mechanic forgot to put O-rings on the mag chip detectors and all the oil leaked out. Did he get fired? Oh you betcha!

And this is a true story. :eek:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Serious pucker factor on that flight...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hrm, I don't have any really bad ones. The worst thing I did was to my race quad (Honda Fourtrax 250R). I had blown the engine and had to take the jug off to bore the cylinder and replace the piston and rings. When I was taking the old piston out the little pin that is inserted in the ring groove (where the ends of the ring come together) fell out and went down into the crankcase. Me being lazy I didn't bother changing the 1 quart of oil the thing took or attempt to flush the pin out figuring it would probably get stuck in the motor someplace else and not cause any problems. Bored the cylinder, installed the new piston and rings, and got everything back together. This all occured the day before a race so my break-in for the new rings consisted of taking the bike out through the field at the track right before practice. 10 minutes in and I spin up the motor to get some revs when that little pin gets tossed up into the cylinder (that had just been bored the day before) and munges everything up. I was unable to race that day and had to rebore the cylinder, buy a new piston and rings, and start over. I wouldn't think much about it now but back then I was in college and could hardly afford to keep the thing running the way it was. Coming up with another $100 to get the work redone was painful.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A buddy o' mine changed the oil on his F3, but didn't tighten the drain plug all the way. He made it about ten miles up the highway where he lost all the oil and threw a rod. You only do that once. I can't help reminding him now and then.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Uncle Jesse said:
A buddy o' mine changed the oil on his F3, but didn't tighten the drain plug all the way. He made it about ten miles up the highway where he lost all the oil and threw a rod. You only do that once. I can't help reminding him now and then.

He's lucky he didn't throw it down the road, a Similar thing happened here a few years ago, an apprentice forgot to tighten the sump plug after an oil change at a bike shop, the unfortunate rider lost it around some bends later into the ride when the sump plug fell out dumping all the oil under his back tyre, the rider was killed.
It went to the coroners court to find the cause which in the end was blamed directly to the apprentice.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My best friend bought his sister's car. We put fresh plugs in, and a new air cleaner, vacuumed it out, washed it, etc. On the way home on the 101 freeway, he tried to race me. I was driving a Pinto! He threw a rod, and that was it. That car never rolled again. It had a big hole in the block. He would go out to the parking lot every few days to fire it up and hear the broken rod knocking against the block as he revved the motor to the moon.

·
Registered
768 Posts
A post above reminded me...

About the time I didn't get my bicycle's front wheel tightened down. I was in a dirt alley, riding a wheelie. The front wheel falls off, and the forks take a digger into the dirt. And so did I!

Not really a mechanical blunder, we planned this!

I have posted before about the minibike. No brakes, no seat, throttle locked on full, clutch converted to direct drive all the time, and the kill switch which was a strap with which you grounded against the top of the spark plug. And a nice strong magneto.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
In 92' I was racing both my VFR and a friend's RC30, but spent most of the time on the VFR. I had swapped out the stock oil cooler with an Earl's double deep 6 row unit mounted below the radiator and had my local CNC guy make up some custom adaptors for the braided lines. I had just stepped off the RC and jumped on the VFR and went out to catch the second half of HW practice. Evidently one of the oil fittings on the case blew on the first run down the straight, as everyone was waving and pointing from hot pit lane, but I thought they were indicating that someone was right behind me, so I tucked in and decided to brake as late as possible into turn one. As I passed the last braking marker, I popped up and let off the gas and the back end came all the way around so I went into turn one backwards and under the now crashing bike. I had no idea what happened until the corner crew informed me that my bike looked like a WW2 fighter that had taken 30 rounds into the block and was smoking all the way down the straight.

The bike was completely covered in oil and the rear tire was a mess of warm rubber, asphalt and Motul 300V. When I told the machine shop about it, they paid for all the bodywork and crash damage and made the coolest "heavy duty" custom oil fittings I have ever seen at no charge.

·
Registered
469 Posts
When I was probably about 14 I was helping my dad work on an engine. It was a 350 that he'd built up during his years of working in an engine shop. Well, we got it all buttoned back up and he went to fire it up and it made a horrible racket! The first backfire back through the carb scared the sh1t out of me. Turns out after years and years of doing this kind of thing he'd put the distributor cap on 180 degress out. To make it worse he even admitted to noticing that some of the plug wires seemed to be a tighter reach than he remember when we tore it down but for some reason it didn't click. Anyway, he made me promise not to tell anyone but that was in a different zip code so it doesn't count.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I've had more than I could ever share....some spectacular...some just stoopid... :crap:

This one happened to a "friend" of mine.
He was rebuilding an early 70's corvette, and we had just installed a new transmission. The interior was gutted, including carpet and drain plugs in the pan. He and another "friend" hopped in the car for a short ride....he tossed a denim jacket on the floorboard and took off....a few blocks up the road, the jacket caught the driveshaft and pulled itself thru an ever widening hole in the floorboard.....literally tore itself a new one. The wadded jacket nearly caught fire in the tunnel before they got the car stopped.....
:rotfl:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts