Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coworker of mine has a 1993 Honda CBR900RR. Black and orange colorscheme. It's been sitting in a wood shack for four years because a previous tenant left the motorcycle behind. It's abandoned. It has a fireblades.org sticker on the back of it but clearly a careless owner.

Question I have is if it's worth going through the restoration/repair process for this bike? It owes over $700 in back taxes because it was never put into non-op status in California and in order to register it is a huuuuge fiasco (lien sale, sell to me, I try to get a new title, etc. etc.). I'm thinking I wouldn't ride this on the street much because I don't want to bother paying $700+ in fees. Maybe I'd convert it into a track bike but I feel like there are less collectable bikes out there that would be better suited as a track day bike... Just wondering what anyone here thinks about it. I've considered having a family relative in another state register it under their name to avoid the taxes and then I insure and ride it. But, again, a lot of trouble for a 25 year old bike...

Thoughts? I haven't seen it in person yet so I can't even decide if it's not total garbage yet. The one picture I saw made me think it's at least not completely busted but who knows. The engine might be completely destroyed AFAIK. Assuming it's just abandoned and not destroyed - what would you do?

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,331 Posts
Black and RED?

1FA49EF9-139E-424A-BE9A-A86CB35E7B38.jpeg

For $700 a non running RR that would eventually cost you, say $1700 to get road worthy, is surely worth every penny.

Making it a track bike might even cost you more money in trick track parts.

The one in the above pic was mine from 94-99, and if I had to put a value on the man hours and parts I put in it, it was a $30,000 bike. I sold it in 1999 for $11,500.00. Still less than a brand new 99 model if I remember correctly.

I bough this (below) non runner (sat for the better half of 5 years) for $500. Put some sweat equity in, and a full rebuild including rings, etc. probably got $4,000 into it now all said and done (man hours included), but it’s fairly custom too.

34F96F2D-FD74-497C-A807-2E7DDFA42E42.jpeg

I also saved a 99 that had a chunk of engine case missing from under the stator. Had it welded, cleaned it up, painted the engine, all sorts of trick track bits, but got it for FREE because it was abandoned. In a few years it will be vintage, and won’t need a title in CT in order to register it if I want.

BF02BA46-81CE-4513-9D7D-82B3C1CA650D.jpeg

My opinion is totally biased, as I’m sure others will tell you. I’m a sucker for carbied 900RR’s. So when I say go for it, you have to take it with a grain of salt :rotfl:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah. It might be black and red. It looked orange in the pic I saw but the color scheme looks the same.

Well, I'll check it out and at least see if the engine isn't destroyed. Any suggestions *besides* starting it up (since that would probably just make things worse) to see if the engine isn't just exploded internals? EDIT: Doubt I could start it anyway. There's no key.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Yeah. It might be black and red. It looked orange in the pic I saw but the color scheme looks the same.

Well, I'll check it out and at least see if the engine isn't destroyed. Any suggestions *besides* starting it up (since that would probably just make things worse) to see if the engine isn't just exploded internals? EDIT: Doubt I could start it anyway. There's no key.
I'd take a socket set with you, make sure its not in gear take cover off and try turning the crank ( clockwise) from the righthand side just to make sure there's no interference inside the engine, take it slowly and if it stops don't force it

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I think so. So do a lot of others on here. Here's my before and after. I paid $800. You be the judge.

Super fun to ride. Lighter than most 600's. This is the bike that changed everything. It's really a piece of motorcycle history. If you don't want it, someone on here will.

Between Ebay, Craigslist and Amazon, we've gone to a "worth more in pieces" mentality about old bikes. They are just disappearing. Get her while you can before she ends up scattered on Ebay.

DD

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think so. So do a lot of others on here. Here's my before and after. I paid $800. You be the judge.

Super fun to ride. Lighter than most 600's. This is the bike that changed everything. It's really a piece of motorcycle history. If you don't want it, someone on here will.

Between Ebay, Craigslist and Amazon, we've gone to a "worth more in pieces" mentality about old bikes. They are just disappearing. Get her while you can before she ends up scattered on Ebay.

DD
Always liked that Rothman's livery. Lovely bike.

If someone 'round here offered a deal like that, I'd go for it. Sounds like a lot of work though...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Checked it out today. It's got a lot of work ahead of it. Body work is in decent shape. It was definitely a track bike (or wanted to be) at some point because it has all the safety wiring done.

There's quite a few mods but I can't tell 100% what's stock and what isn't. There are some strange things on the bike and the person who had this clearly loved to record video with it.

https://imgur.com/a/GHJCA

It has about 28k miles.

·
7,331 Posts
Checked it out today. It's got a lot of work ahead of it. Body work is in decent shape. It was definitely a track bike (or wanted to be) at some point because it has all the safety wiring done.

There's quite a few mods but I can't tell 100% what's stock and what isn't. There are some strange things on the bike and the person who had this clearly loved to record video with it.

It has about 28k miles.
If you buy it and don’t want those rear sets, I have stock replacements and cash waiting to be sent :thumb:

·
Registered
478 Posts
All of our bikes start somewhere... if you have the time and the budget to restore and bring her back to life she is definitely worth saving.

Someone at some point was doing things with her, the wire locked bolts on the clip ons make me curious that there may be more interesting things to find within.
Even if you bought a better bike you'd only end up spending the same amount on it to make it your bike.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

It has about 28k miles.
That's like looking at a broken woman after a harsh divorce. Someone once loved that bike and love could bring her back again.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I think it even have a lithium battery. I remember picking it up and thinking, "Wow, this thing is really light even for a motorcycle battery. Must be from being so dead." But it was a Shorai battery and they only sell lithium. So... that's probably why it was so light. I'll probably buy a CTEK lithium battery tender if it'll be compatible. I'll have to check the battery to make sure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you guys think would be the best steps for starting a restoration/rebuild/get-working-well-tion of the bike?

I haven't picked up the bike yet but I want to... The reason I haven't: it's complicated - lien sale process is very long and drawn out here in California but I am thinking of picking it up early and just working on it before I legally own it. Guy who has it in his wood shed doesn't think there would be a problem with me doing that. I'd also rather get started on it and get it running before potentially paying $700+ in taxes only to find out the bike would be impossible to get going because the engine needs to be replaced.

So with the mindset of: I want this bike running and moving before I really start replacing/rebuilding everything, what should be my order of operations?

I'm thinking:

1. Drain the fuel system
2. Inspect and clean the gas tank thoroughly (possibly seal it? Suggestions?)
3. Take apart the carburetors and rebuild them (with a new gasket kit from here maybe? Honda CBR900RR Carburettor Kits )
4. Replace oil, oil filter, spark plugs, and air filter. Battery either replaced or recharged.
5. See if it starts. (Is there an easy way to hotwire these bikes because I don't want to buy a new set of locks and keys so quickly)

From there, it seems like the sky is the limit on what to replace/rebuild. I'm sure the front forks could use new oil and seals. The tires will need to be replaced. I don't know if rotors and pads are okay with sitting for four years in a damp environment.

Anything else?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Comments below

I'm thinking:

1. Drain the fuel system Yes
2. Inspect and clean the gas tank thoroughly (possibly seal it? Suggestions?) Yes; if necessary but I'd come back to it after #5
3. Take apart the carburetors and rebuild them (with a new gasket kit from here maybe? Honda CBR900RR Carburettor Kits ) Yes, after trying #5
4. Replace oil, oil filter, spark plugs, and air filter. Battery either replaced or recharged. Yes, but I'd remove and clean the spark plugs but only after #5. Spark plugs are expensive and if they were good when the bike was last run, to my knowledge they should be fine left idle for 4 years.
5. See if it starts. (Is there an easy way to hotwire these bikes because I don't want to buy a new set of locks and keys soYes, after #5 quickly)

From there, it seems like the sky is the limit on what to replace/rebuild. I'm sure the front forks could use new oil and seals. The tires will need to be replaced Positively, but after #5. I don't know if rotors and pads are okay with sitting for four years in a damp environment. Should be fine as long as there hasn't been any oil on the pads. Rotors are steel and can be cleaned.

Anything else? Yes, but after (say it with me)...#5

·
7,331 Posts
Kind of on the heals of what Jay is saying; make sure the engine turns over freely (wrench on the right side small access cover clockwise). Take the plugs out and toss a bit of engine oil or penetrating oil down the holes. Let it sit a bit. Then give it a go with the wrench.

If it turns without excessive force (you’ll know if it’s too tough to turn), then go to the next step.

If you don’t want to spend the money on a new battery, use jumper cables from you car (car NOT running), and hook them up. Bridge the 2 poles on top of the starter solenoid to see if the starter works. If the starter spins, in turn spinning the engine freely you can pretty much bet you’re good to go. If you still have doubt, you can always do a compression check then too, just keep the throttle WFO while turning the engine over.

If that all goes well, then clean the carbs and see if it will run on a remote tank. If it runs, check the tank to see if it’s salvageable. If there has been fuel in it all this time, you can pretty much call it FUBAR and will have to source a used one. If it’s been dry all this time you may be in business.

Then proceed from there. :thumb:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Kind of on the heals of what Jay is saying; make sure the engine turns over freely (wrench on the right side small access cover clockwise). Take the plugs out and toss a bit of engine oil or penetrating oil down the holes. Let it sit a bit. Then give it a go with the wrench.

If it turns without excessive force (you’ll know if it’s too tough to turn), then go to the next step.

If you don’t want to spend the money on a new battery, use jumper cables from you car (car NOT running), and hook them up. Bridge the 2 poles on top of the starter solenoid to see if the starter works. If the starter spins, in turn spinning the engine freely you can pretty much bet you’re good to go. If you still have doubt, you can always do a compression check then too, just keep the throttle WFO while turning the engine over.

If that all goes well, then clean the carbs and see if it will run on a remote tank. If it runs, check the tank to see if it’s salvageable. If there has been fuel in it all this time, you can pretty much call it FUBAR and will have to source a used one. If it’s been dry all this time you may be in business.

Then proceed from there. :thumb:

I feel like a new-used tank is going to be quite costly and difficult to find. I figured I'd be able to salvage it with one of the cleaning, rust removal, and sealer kits that's available on the market. They seem to be nothing more than some nice soap, rust remover, and then colored epoxy.

Alternatively, something like this method:

1 - 20 of 205 Posts