Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

201 - 209 of 209 Posts

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,636 Posts
Added a couple sound clips. It's the tack-tack-tack-tack sound that kind of sounds like clacking two bits of metal together. (Sounds similar to lifter tick/tap)

In the second clip, I rev the bike a bit higher (maybe 10k) and then decel and it just shakes and makes a weird turbo-whistle sounding noise. That was a slightly new noise/experience.
I want to see pictures of your wheels, tires, chain and sprockets.

Then put it up on stands somehow (or at least a rear end stand) and take a video of it while idling in gear.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #202 (Edited)
Been busy with stuff - haven't been out on the bike since. However, I washed it and was trying to see what was wrong with the throttle. One of the throttle cables had broken off. I figured that'd happened. Sadly, in the process I accidentally snapped the other. So---, yeah, gonna have to replace both of those. >_< I can't even find one of them on one of the parts websites I use.

I was also trying to replace the grips and whoever put the last ones on basically ultra-mega-glued them on. No way to remove them completely. Tried a heat gun and razors and everything. It's completely bonded. It'd take a couple hours to remove all the crap just from one. So - I'm gonna see if I can get new tubes while I'm searching for parts.

EDIT: Yeah - a lot of trouble to find these cables. I'm probably going to make my own. Still having trouble finding plastic tube for the non-throttle side. MotionPro sells a generic one for the throttle but don't see the clutch side.
EDIT2: Find it weird that this bike has a sleeve for the clutch grip. I'm not seeing that for many other bikes and in the diagrams for this bike. Not sure why they did that other than ease of slipping on and off grippy/non-grippy grips.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I dunno if you're on the wrong side of the pond but there's plenty of the cable b available in the us
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/17920-MW0-000
Cable a is a bit harder and might gotta go in eBay but there's this.
https://www.cyclesrus.net/cart.php?suggest=dc78aa40-5b68-4cdd-85d4-aa2c9cb036c3

Also, I've found sticking the bars in the freezer then giving them a hard twist breaks most glues. If they used a 2 part, good luck.
I've got a spare set of clipons you're welcome to but they've got the red aluminum clip with a polished / chrome bar.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #205 (Edited)
Replaced grips. Sadly - the bar ends I put on are not going to stay because one side had the bar weight (internal thing) snap inside of it. I think this probably happened a long time ago. So, I'll need to figure that out. For now - they're both barely hanging on. Whatever.

The grips were replaced. New cables were ordered online ($25 for the pair - found a decent deal) but one of the cables wasn't the correct thread size. So I had to cross-thread the thing to get it to go in... (Yeah - I know - not good but I didn't want to mess around with ordering more cables or getting a tap+die set out and rethreading whatever...)

There's little to no play with the throttle now but that's not really ideal. I like a "tiny" amount of play. As it is, there is basically none. Hopefully the cables loosen up a little. I tried to get as much slack as I could but just couldn't get any more.

Replaced the spark plugs because I've had this weird feeling that maybe the engine is knocking or misfiring or who knows. Maybe the plugs were old and to blame. I hadn't replaced the plugs yet in this overhaul, so it was due. Did them. They came out lookin' relatively normal - maybe a bit rich on a couple. It does seem like there's probably an oil leak at the exhaust side of the engine. There's some sludge up there that I tried cleaning off. Will monitor it.

https://imgur.com/a/kJrd1eI 1 through 4. Top to bottom. Left to right. 4 looks to be running extra rich compared to the rest.

Ran the bike down the street - same noises. So, clearly still having issues. I put CR9EH9 back in (NGK 7502). I don't know why the CR9E was put in but seems to be a common thing to have happen.

Used some plexus on the wind screen. Did a little... but not much. Not sure how to get it looking good but whatever. Maybe just need a new wind screen.

I'd run the bike in gear on a stand but neighbors get annoyed when running the bike anywhere tbh. So I can't really do it. Best option would be to get some sophisticated gopro mounting setup. I'll see what I can do....

EDIT: Put a little infra-red temperature reader thing up on all four exhaust pipes. They might be at slightly different temperatures (but it varied a lot just on how far I was from the engine) but all were getting very hot. So, at least at idle.. they're all running at least once in a while.

EDIT2: My suspicion right now is the cam chain tensioner. Is one symptom of it possibly not retracting correctly that it would give *too* much tension on the cam chain and cause what would feel like a really tight rear chain as well? I feel like that's half of what's happening. It's just getting stuck a bit at various stages.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Well - I believe the engine is toast. Went riding it today after an oil change - the knock went from annoying to sounding like marbles were going off in the engine. Super bad stuff. It died mid ride and I couldn't get it to start again. I ended up walking home and then walking back to take it home. (Too hot to wear gear and push a bike home)

It's toast. There's a guy I sold the parts bike to that still has the engine from that bike. I might end up buying the engine from him for about $100 and then swapping it in. We'll see if that does any good. Not looking forward to that swap.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
. . . I might end up buying the engine from him for about $100 and then swapping it in. . .
Gee, if I could get a motor for $100 I'd be in it like a flash. Would make a good project to clean, refresh, and do some serious head work.

Perhaps you could consider that with the one you take out?

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,636 Posts
Well - I believe the engine is toast. Went riding it today after an oil change - the knock went from annoying to sounding like marbles were going off in the engine. Super bad stuff. It died mid ride and I couldn't get it to start again. I ended up walking home and then walking back to take it home. (Too hot to wear gear and push a bike home)

It's toast. There's a guy I sold the parts bike to that still has the engine from that bike. I might end up buying the engine from him for about $100 and then swapping it in. We'll see if that does any good. Not looking forward to that swap.
Tough luck for sure. That sucks, we know all the work you've put into that bike. Hopeful you'll get that other engine in it and really enjoy it. Good Luck!

201 - 209 of 209 Posts