Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It looked like a nice race weekend weather was a little cold but no Willow winds. I went up to the track on Friday to do my required corner work to get out of novice class and get some points overall in the expert 250gp class. I did not get off work till Friday at 1:30pm so I sill had some gear to pack. I got home the wife said she did not feel comfortable with me driving up to the track 2 1/2 hours away after working all day so I slept in. I arrived at the track at 12:30pm Friday signed up for my 1/2 day corner work and went out to turn 4b it was fun watching the bikes go around for a few laps, but I could not wait to get off the track after an hour. The good thing was Tommy, Roger Lee, and Keith Code were out on the new ZX-10. Watching them come over T4b down the hill to T5 showed me how chicken $hit I am when I come around that turn, and I think it helped me during my race. I wanted to get some new tires on the TZ to feel confident during practice I normally use some older tires, but this is a new bike with more power so I didn't want to take any chances, but the tire guy was closed when I got off the track.
DAMN

I called G-Force who was coming up with his trailer thanks dude for putting up with me for one night and getting my bike out of the cold. He was going to race my old RS 125 in the new racer program Congrats on getting the License Man. I told him what to expect in the new racer school with Danny (Farnswarth)sp yelling at them a saying how in his day bikes weight 700lb and had square wheels and was still able to turn a 1:22 at Willow.

Saturday morning we get going around 6:30am after I do some yoga I'm ready to go but my bike is not. The tires warmers that I ordered never showed up so I had my friend bring his set up thanks (Rodney) also I found that the front axle bolt did not have a hole for some safety wire :crying: I think I spent over an hour trying to make a hole. I gave up and went down to Kelly speed shop and had him put it on the drill press it was ready in two minutes and $10 later. G-Force got out of school and on the track before I did :rant: I had two goals for this weekend one to get first place in my race 0-500cc novice and two run some consistent 1:35 on a bike I've never ridden before with an unknown setup. I got three practice sessions in and was able to get to a low 1:36. I know I could get a lot faster because I was not carrying any were close to the speed into turn 1,9 that I was on the 125. Called it a day and fell asleep watching the Lakers & Clippers.

Sunday 24 degrease with a wind-chill of 18 I guess I won't try to get into any 1:35 in the morning sessions to cold. In the first practice session Me and G-Force head out. The bike feels strong on power, but the rear is a little soft need to up grade the spring to fat boy size. I get to turn 9 red flag I look behind me no G-force I hope it was not him. We are told to get off the track I'm still looking for G-force. Not good news it is him the chain popped and the rear wheel locked up, G-force goes down. The bike is banged up but repairable 125 riders are a really tight group so he was able to get a wind screed and a chain spacer and get ready to race.

The rest of the day we watch races and BS around the track till race #16 I'm gridded #1 G-force is #14 Fifteen riders showed up a lot for a 0-500cc race this early in the year. The race comes I get my normal bad start and go from first to last before T1 I had a lot of work to do. I was able to use some of the 125 skills on the 250 as far as corner speed then blast down the back and front straight by the 1/2 point I was in third place and in hot pursuit of second place. Then something strange happened Coming into T9 I went to down shift and there was nothing there the bolt backed out WHY DID I NOT USE LOCK TIGHT ON THAT BOLT so I was in 6th gear with now way to shift for the rest of the race. I tried my best to keep it running but going in to T1 I was passed I kept with him for about two turns and just coasted over turn 6 to 8 with the smell of a freshly smoked clutch and stopped. One goal was accomplished I was able to turn 1:35's I give myself two more weekends before a crack a 1:30 when I get the gearing, jetting and suspension right. :cycle: :cycle: Good to see Latebraking at the track again I will try to stay out of your way March

·
Registered
304 Posts
Good read. Just makes want to start racing now. But I'm going to be good and just continue to get faster on the track before I enter the AFM ranks. Cant wait though for 2005 season, I'll be bringing up the rear baby on either the 600RR or 1000RR. Cant wait!!!

I also want to find a old 125 for the track, sounds really fun milking the bike for all thats it worth. Good luck this year. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Ya, with the exception of crashing, and not making my race, it was a pretty good weekend :) But considering I lowered my lap times 16 seconds in one day, I dont feel too bad being a backmarker for a while while I'm learning, or should I say, growing some Huevos Grandes :) Thanks for all your and Rodneys help, two years of racing alone its like frigging "Lifestyles of the Rich And Famous" when I have a pit crew! Get that 250 sorted out and you should just be able to see me going into turn one as you take the checkerd flag :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Codered & G-force. Both you guys did a great job. :clap: You guys just had some "unfortunate events." Hopefully you guys got it all out and now you can wreak havick on WSMC....in a good way :thumb: I had a good time and the bikes and looked awesome! I wish I could've been out there, swapping some paint. G-force, I bet you'll drop your lap times by atleast another 8 sec. next month. once you get more confy w/ the bike & release those extra horses from that right wrist :p Codered, I have two words to say to you....LOCK TITE! See you guys next month!
These are two pics I took on race day:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rawrider said:
Codered & G-force. Both you guys did a great job. :clap: You guys just had some "unfortunate events." Hopefully you guys got it all out and now you can wreak havick on WSMC....in a good way :thumb: I had a good time and the bikes and looked awesome! I wish I could've been out there, swapping some paint. G-force, I bet you'll drop your lap times by atleast another 8 sec. next month. once you get more confy w/ the bike & release those extra horses from that right wrist :p Codered, I have two words to say to you....LOCK TITE! See you guys next month!
These are two pics I took on race day:
What the hell is that in my mouth? I take my gold teeth out on race weekends :idunno:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts