Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
So I build the thing last week, it did crash once,but it has been fine since.

Today, it has crashed 6x.
No warning, no messages from XP pro.
Just blank screen and a self-reboot.

It happened once during a program install,
and 4x while online as I was trying to get into Comcast.net h.page.
It does seem to hang on that page though, but all others, IE fireblades.org is fine!

Might I have a video card problem or something?
That is the only thing attached to the computer, and it is what caused the crash during the orig. XP install.
Quote MESSAGE: ERROR MEMORY blah,blah,
MAYBE CAUSED BY VIDEOCARD.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that you mentioned it, I just checked and it is running around 116*, I did make a change in CMOS today.
The FSB from 133 to 200mhz, and that cranked my CPU from 1830mhz to well over 2200!
Could that be it?
or part of it.

It has crashed prior to any adjustments, thats why I went into CMOS.

Hum, I wish Biostar gave a little better manual with their product.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ConqSoft : So you overclocked your CPU and are surprised your system locks up?  
Hey, it is supposed to be able to hold that.:twofinger:

I did buy a case/pwr supply combo, if my temp is fine, might the supposed 350w supply not be enough?

I am running 2 80mm case fans, cpu fan, and the videocard has a small, tiny, fan.

I have one h,drive, and I burner, that's it.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
It's a temp issue. If you want to run it that fast, you can look into better heatsinks, better interface materials(not much to be gained here as long as you already are using an interface material), better airflow in the case...but you're always playing with fire when you run electronics hot.

10ºC increase in temp halves the life of the part.

There are many reasons for this, one of them is the fact the leakage current in the transistor doubles with a 10ºC increase in temp. As leakage current increases, so does temp because the chip is pulling more current, without operating any faster. This gets you into a serious thermal runaway issue, which you seem to be having.

All that fancy talk to say, slow the thing down unless you understand thermal management.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Check the system properties and make sure that it isn't set to automatically reboot on STOP errors. If it is a BSOD you won't be able to see it on the faster machines, it flashes through and then reboots.

Check the event viewer for BugCheck entries as well.

Keith

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
swiped from your other thread:
M.board is M7NCD
Specs:
CPU Supported: Socket A AMD up to 3200+
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 SPP / MCP2
FSB: 200-400
RAM: 3x 184-pin DDR (DDR 200-400)
IDE: 2x channel IDE (UDMA 33/66/100/133)
Slots: 1x AGP(4X/8X), 5x PCI
Ports: 2xCOM,1xLPT,2xUSB, 1xLAN, and Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC650 6-ch AC'97 CODEC
Onboard LAN: MCP NVIDIA MAC + Realtek ALC650 PHY

Just realized that you might have bought 3 sticks of memory. Run 2 sticks to achieve dual channel performance.

Check this thread

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Yeh I know I am postwhoring

looks like the best overclocks on a xp2500 (thats what you got isntit?) are from pushing the FSB something over 200 to start with and the multiplyer underclocked. So set your multple lower than stock and push the fsb first to find the limit.

by the way I run my cpus at stock speed just watercooled so I can hear myself think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts