Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 929 rr 2001. When the bike is cold it runs fine but when it gets to the 200 F range I loose 1 or 2 cylinders. I need a new air filter I know that but Im not sure what the hell could cause that. The bike has had no trouble running at 225 F but for some reason I loose the two cylinders and it misfires as well. Any Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
So I have a 929 rr 2001. When the bike is cold it runs fine but when it gets to the 200 F range I loose 1 or 2 cylinders. I need a new air filter I know that but Im not sure what the hell could cause that. The bike has had no trouble running at 225 F but for some reason I loose the two cylinders and it misfires as well. Any Ideas?
Was anything done to the bike before it started behaving this way?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope. I washed the bike before I rode it last time. I went for a night ride with it. It acted fine no malfunction what so ever. think the coils could be bad?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
nope. I washed the bike before I rode it last time. I went for a night ride with it. It acted fine no malfunction what so ever. think the coils could be bad?
Any chance you got water into the injectors or coils?

·
Registered
55 Posts
how much water did you use? bikes do not belong in lakes, it only needs enough water to for soap and a rinse, harness does not need to shine...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So your never going to believe what the problem was. I worked at a dealership and had a monkey of a technition check my valves and he looked over some stuff. Some how one of the coils was screwed up. The clip on the inside of the coil was bent. I replaced it last year. I guess after so long the coil managed to unhook its self from the plug and was bouncing around in the socket. I have no clue how this could have happend? The roads around here are not paved to perfection in a lot of areas so that and a loose suspention setup could have caused this. As far as my bike washing abilities go. I know that I dont need to rinse my bike of with the amount of water that niagara falls dumps in a year. Thank you. As far as the good tech advice goes. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Any good cornering advice? Im trying to get faster. If you have a good sweeper thats a yellow sign of 25, how fast can you hit it?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Any good cornering advice? Im trying to get faster. If you have a good sweeper thats a yellow sign of 25, how fast can you hit it?
I would usually limit my entry speed to just a little faster than when the front starts sliding. Any more than that and you're just making work for yourself :)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
you're asking the wrong guy alex... you ride at blade's speeds right now and you're liable to end up replacing more than a coil connect..

take your time.. concentrate on body position and be aware of where you are looking.. your bike REALLY will go where you look. and your yellow 25 sign really differs in different areas. but i would say i usually hit them at 55-65? give or take.. no knees down here yet.. but close..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. Im just trying to get some kind of concept befor I hit a 25 at 120 and end up on my ass. I usually try and get all the info I get before I go and try something. By the way does any

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Thanks for the info. Im just trying to get some kind of concept befor I hit a 25 at 120 and end up on my ass. I usually try and get all the info I get before I go and try something. By the way does any
Your corner speed is not limited by your tyres, suspension setup, the road condition or anything else external.
It is entirely a function of your experience.
With enough experience you can take a corner at a speed that has both tyres overcoming grip so they're both sliding.
The only way you can gain experience is by trying it over and over and over pushing your entry speed up as you get more comfortable with the turn. Eventually you'll be hitting it fast enough to be sliding the front on the way in, which you'll be able to feel as pressure against the palm of your inside hand. On the 929 the front also tends to become vague compared to the GSXR's I'm used to but it is still doing the job just fine. I doubt this is noticeable if you haven't ridden many different bikes.
Sliding the front will usually also dictate a wider entry or you'll find yourself running off the track at the exit but it also allows you to get on the gas sooner.
I deliberately practiced to learn to spin the rear up out of turns but I don't recall ever making a conscious decision to learn to push the front going into turns - it's purely a result of increasing confidence and going in harder until you simply know absolutely without any doubt that you are right on the edge of control and any faster would be a crash. But, you will get comfortable with that sensation and find yourself pushing it a little more and a little more and you start having big uncontrolled slides where you have to bring it back or crash, and sometimes you actually will lose the front and go down.
The first time you lose the front at speed it's very disorienting as it happens faster than you can think :)
You must always remember that your maximum possible corner speed is _not_ the same as anybody else's. Just because somebody else can get into that turn faster than you doesn't mean that you can do the same. We're all individuals and our bikes are set up uniquely for how we're most comfortable riding them. On somebody's first track day their corner speed could be 20kph slower than mine but we are _both_ riding at our own maximum speeds for our experience levels. The slower guy though has years of fun ahead of him learning to push his corner speed higher and higher. For me, I'm already pushing _my_ limits so significant improvements are rare and are much more related to improvements in my equipment than in myself.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
anyone have a good practice routine for getting a knee down?
It's pretty pointless until you're cornering at such speeds that it becomes necessary.
But you could find a nice clean deserted carpark on a sunny day and simply do figure eights and circles tighter and tighter.
But you must ensure your tyres are up to temp before really putting load into them.
On the 929 you will be dragging both pegs long before you should be getting your knees down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help. Im trying to get faster all together and not have crappy form that I will have to tweak in the long run. Im a big fan of perfect practice makes perfect. I think I will do the parking lot thing and see how that goes. Also does anyone know how to set up suspension? my front feels rock hard and my back end fees like Im riding on jellow. Im just courious for the perfect ballence?

·
Registered
574 Posts
You need to be practicing this stuff on the track. Research online about setting sag. Do a trackday or 10. You sound like you have a lot to learn. Ive got a lot to learn. I just started doing trackdays last year and believe me, you will get addicted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would love to be doing this on the track. Unfortunatly I cant afford to go to a track day. Thats kinda why im on here. I was in the motercycle industry for 2 years and the only thing that Ive really gotten from it is that people that work at dealerships are usually full of themselves. Or ****. Every once in a while though you find a good guy that can teach you a little. Im not saying that I dont need the track. I want to go bad and I might get to this year. Its just a money issue. I practice in safe areas back road mountian ranges. I never do cities or towns. Going fast next to a car just seems like pissing off an angry bull. You know? I have a few friends that have died doing that crap. There is a time and a place for having fun. Thank you guys for the advice though. I really appreatiate it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts