Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this board is full of IT.
Regarding critical updates and updates.
Having finally gotten around to upgrading from my 6 year old PII 133mhz 56mb ram, heh heh.

Anyway, this hp has xp home, service pack 1, there are 28 critical updates, most security oriented, some specific to usage as a server.

Are there any updates not to apply because of functionality issues or poor integration issues?

Running a pci dsl w/ Zonealarm, I'm not using the built in firewall.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gawd damn that's fast.

I actually did mean to put this in off topic but didn't realize I was in general till to late.

But, damn, you didn't even give me a chance to delete and move it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not that bad with dsl, I did the cumulative patch for IE and the help call repair, those went pretty quick.

Additionally, is anyone using the free virus software from Grisoft?
Is it any good, or should I pay the license fee to Norton?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
coeff : It's not that bad with dsl, I did the cumulative patch for IE and the help call repair, those went pretty quick.

Additionally, is anyone using the free virus software from Grisoft?
Is it any good, or should I pay the license fee to Norton?
I think you can find Noron internet security 2002 (comes with NAV) on the net for about $10. Install it and its good for a year.

When it comes to antivirus the big 2 seem to keep atop the latest. McAfee and Norton.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tombstone : I think you can find Noron internet security 2002 (comes with NAV) on the net for about $10.  Install it and its good for a year.

When it comes to antivirus the big 2 seem to keep atop the latest.  McAfee and Norton.
Noron, is that a mispell or a fruedian?  

The hp came with 03, and 60 days of definitions, would your suggestion be to uninstall that and install the above to save 20 or 30 bucks?

I wonder if I can buy a sub to 03 for 10 or 20 bucks on the net.

The whole yearly subscription thing really pisses me off.
I'm still pulling live updates for an older version of Norton on a win98 box after 5 years.
Now they want $60 yr.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Get all the updates, it's well worth it. It'll keep your computer running much nicer, and it'll give you the piece of mind too.

I've been using Norton's for quite a while for my AV and it's caught quite a few bugs, I'm happy with it. We use it at work too and it grabs all kinds of malicious crap.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I've been running XP Home for a while, installed all the updates as the popped up on my desktop. No crashes yet, have not noticed any negative effects.

I'm tires of fighting the evil empire. I've let myself be assimilated. Remember, resistance is futile.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts