Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new computer with XP and there are these annoying pop-ups apparently coming through on some sort of Messenger.  They try to direct you to sites like www.endads.com, etc.

Any way to stop these things???  

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
To Disable the Messenger Service Manually:
-- Click on the Start button in the taskbar
-- Open Control Panels
-- Go to 'Administrative Tools' (XP users may need to go to 'Performance and Maintenance' first, then 'Administrative Tools')
-- Double-click on 'Services'
-- Scroll down to 'Messenger'
-- Double-click on 'Messenger'
-- Change the Startup type to 'Disabled'
-- Click 'Stop' to stop the service

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Is Your PC Networked With Other Computers?
Disabling this feature of the operating system may break programs that rely on internal networking. Most home users will be unaffected.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Red Rider : Is Your PC Networked With Other Computers?
Disabling this feature of the operating system may break programs that rely on internal networking. Most home users will be unaffected.
It's a stand-alone home computer... no networking going on.

Conq - I ran Ad-aware but they still kept coming up through the Messenger Alert

This is my first XP experience, so I'm learning

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
Well, XP has a built in firewall that you can enable. (Go to the properties for the network connection that is connected to your cable modem/DSL modem). It's not great, but better than nothing. I use hardware firewalls, but there are some decent software ones out there too. (Like ZoneAlarm)

You should be using SOME firewall. You may regret it later if you don't.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ConqSoft : Well, XP has a built in firewall that you can enable.  (Go to the properties for the network connection that is connected to your cable modem/DSL modem).  It's not great, but better than nothing.  I use hardware firewalls, but there are some decent software ones out there too. (Like ZoneAlarm)

You should be using SOME firewall.  You may regret it later if you don't.  

Firewall enabled. I wonder if there is any advantage to enabling the Messenger again?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts