Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 629 Posts

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in case we all forgot, when I bought my now red wheeled 93RR I got a 1999 crasher for free. The stator side case was smashed, and a chunk of the engine case went with it. I thought the crank was bent, but it seems with a pointer on the flywheel there was no runout, wobble, or anything. So that was good news. I had the carbs off last year and noticed that the #1 cylinder didn't seem to be firing properly. The vacuum slide on #1 wasn't seated properly and seemed to have shrunk compared to all the others. When I checked the intake tract on #1 it seemed there was a lot of carbon/nastiness on the valves while the other cylinders were surprisingly free of any build up. I carried on taking items apart, and noticed the #1 side of the airbox looked as though there had been a lot of backfiring. Weird to be honest. It has no plastics (they were so smashed and nasty that I tossed it all). It had skidded down the road and both wheels had rash around the out lip, so I just cleaned that up. And I mounted the old sh!tty du lips that came off the Cafe bike. Anywho, I want to see if I can turn this sucker into a track day bike. My 93 is just too pretty to risk on the track. :rotfl:

So here is where I will document whatever direction I take with this one. Bear in mind that there is no budget, meaning no money to throw at it, so it will be slow going. I hope you all enjoy!

We know I'm a pic whore, so here they are:

As the day I brought it home:

I tried to make it feel better by giving it a bath, it didn't help.......

The rear tire was flat, and I found 2 holes in it. So just to make it easier to roll I plugged them. The center was down to the cords, and that's where I plugged it. When I took that tire off to swap the other garbage tires on last week I counted 5 other plugs sticking out from inside the tire. This poor thing was definitely owned prior by an idiot.

·
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So into the garage she went, and I used the 93's ignition to power up the 99's gauges. And it worked!! 24,000 on the odo. Hard miles it would seem.

Here's the weirdness I found in the airbox.

It was clear it went down hard on the left side, dented the frame, scraped the wheels, chunked the lower engine case and smashed the tank. But I didn't know how bad it was until I pulled the rear wheel off. Seems the chain took a hit and dug into one of the spokes on the rim. Almost tossed the chain....

Case chunk missing (to the left of flywheel):

Rear rash:

Almost snapped chain. The inside side plate is almost detached:

Front rash:

And after some refurbishing:

The sanded spoke is where the chain hit, I think. I didn't get a shot of it before I started sanding, but it was nasty. You can still see the 2 indentations.

I got the outer ridge blended in pretty well on both rims. And the scrap/ding where the chain hit looks much better. Once I have some $$ the powder coat will make them look like new.

And now she's just a chassis and engine. She will be headed to my buddy Dave's house for the winter. Heated garage and much more room. Plus he loves to wrench all the time, so I'm sure stuff will get done even when I'm not there:thumb:

·
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That will keep you out of mischief for a bit!
Right on there, Squid. Hope I can get her running well without throwing big money at her. Bare bones stuff, get it running, tidy up a bit, and then thrash the crap out of it!

·
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well as stated this one has taken the back seat to the red bike, but I got a photo from Dave yesterday, looks like it crashed again:rotfl: I guess he decided to get something going on it and using a piece of a blown CRF450 case half he's actually made a piece to get welded in where the 900's case is missing a chunk. What a guy, I didnt even ask:thumb: Maybe this will kickstart this "track build":eyebrows:

·
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So my buddy Dave ground down the case and fabricated the new piece to fit in the void on the crankcase. I will hopefully be able to get it welded up this week and get a stator and see if she runs. Then the track build can start......

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm going to be checking in on this build. #1 your last build came out amazing. #2 I have a 98 blade that I want to convert for the track. Last year I did a few track days and managed to wear down not only my footpegs but the muffler as well from being so low in the curbs. I think this year I need new rearsets and slap on my thinner Vance and Hines can etc. So come on Ian give me something to aspire to :)

·
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:clap::clap:
:rotfl: should be good for you, buying more parts from ya :thumb:

I'm going to be checking in on this build. #1 your last build came out amazing. #2 I have a 98 blade that I want to convert for the track. Last year I did a few track days and managed to wear down not only my footpegs but the muffler as well from being so low in the curbs. I think this year I need new rearsets and slap on my thinner Vance and Hines can etc. So come on Ian give me something to aspire to :)
Thanks dude:thumb: it's gonna be a long build and probably won't be ready for this year, but the thread will get updates as they come :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looking forward to it! You have a lot of knowledge of these older bikes and I'm eager to see your approach on this build. FYI you can never post too many pictures so keep them coming!

·
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking forward to it! You have a lot of knowledge of these older bikes and I'm eager to see your approach on this build. FYI you can never post too many pictures so keep them coming!
Thanks, I appreciate that. I love the 900's. Just something about them, and I feel kinda lucky. I have an original 1993, and the last incarnation with carbs in the 1999. And post pictures you say??:idunno: Yeah, no problem there:rotfl::thumb:

I'll be watching too as I have my own project in process.
Thanks, as long as the motor is "somewhat" solid I'll be moving forward. I got this bike for free and have no idea if it even runs. Should know late next week.

·
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No need to ask for pics, they just happen automatically. :rotfl:

Not much in the way of progress, but got her home the other day and took some stuff off, getting her ready for some welding:

Old school 90's trickness? Yet another benchmark for the 900?

1 - 20 of 629 Posts