Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

41 - 60 of 612 Posts

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Come on then..... Provide an update......

:popcorn:
Yeah I'm with sax, what's up with the update on the operation? Was it a success?
Dang boys, just rolled her back in the garage 10 minutes ago!:rotfl:

Looks like I have some clean up to do, but otherwise looks like a solid job.

From here:

To here, and the bolt lug lines right up to the case cover:thumb:

·
7,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
And this came in today, again, courtesy of mudduck2112:thumb:

She's ugly as warned, but she'll clean up just fine. And when part 2 of this mod comes in this week, I'll hopefully have successfully completed the 17" conversion both on the 93-97 AND the 98-99. And that means I'll make a thread outlining both, in detail:eyebrows:

The paint on the rotor mating surface chipped right off with a utility knife. Easy peasy:thumb:

·
7,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Put the file to the weld slag, got it pretty good and straight. The problem is the piece is recessed a bit too much into the case. When I mate the cover up there is a small gap about twice the thickness of the gasket. I'm not worried about it really though, I'll just double up gasket material there and be a bit heavy handed with the Hondabond. Should be good. Time will tell I guess. In the meantime some parts should be rolling in by the end of the week:eyebrows:

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
And this came in today, again, courtesy of mudduck2112:thumb:

She's ugly as warned, but she'll clean up just fine. And when part 2 of this mod comes in this week, I'll hopefully have successfully completed the 17" conversion both on the 93-97 AND the 98-99. And that means I'll make a thread outlining both, in detail:eyebrows:

The paint on the rotor mating surface chipped right off with a utility knife. Easy peasy:thumb:

Ian what's that wheel off? Mine currently has a three spoke 17 fitted but your one matches the rear.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I thought that would be the situation when I initially saw the weld job on the case but like you I thought nothing that a good filing and some sealant couldn't fix.

Seeing modifications come together is so exciting. For the average Joe, this would be a new engine case, while to the next guy this is fun time...

·
7,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ian what's that wheel off? Mine currently has a three spoke 17 fitted but your one matches the rear.
It's a 600 F3 rim. Which I will be confirming is the same as a 94-97 VFR750F rim once I get the set of 97-98 Blackbird rotors from member Mikeo. I did the 17" VFR rim on my Red Rocker, used OEM 96RR spacers and you can do either the VFR or F3 disks. It slots right in. No mods. An NC30 wheel works as well. This swap works only with the 93-97 RR's

·
7,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I thought that would be the situation when I initially saw the weld job on the case but like you I thought nothing that a good filing and some sealant couldn't fix.

Seeing modifications come together is so exciting. For the average Joe, this would be a new engine case, while to the next guy this is fun time...
Thanks Sabo, it's gonna go pretty quick from here, until the snow comes and ruins my momentum lol

I'm not as worried now about the gap than I would have 20 years ago, it'll work out. Stay tuned :thumb:

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's a 600 F3 rim. Which I will be confirming is the same as a 94-97 VFR750F rim once I get the set of 97-98 Blackbird rotors from member Mikeo. I did the 17" VFR rim on my Red Rocker, used OEM 96RR spacers and you can do either the VFR or F3 disks. It slots right in. No mods. An NC30 wheel works as well. This swap works only with the 93-97 RR's

So when you do the 17" wheel swap, you must use rotors off F3 or VFR and not the transfer the one's off the 900? What is the advantage of using blackbird rotors.

·
7,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
So when you do the 17" wheel swap, you must use rotors off F3 or VFR and not the transfer the one's off the 900? What is the advantage of using blackbird rotors.
Great question. Here's the dealio:

The 93-94 RR's had a bigger wheel hub diameter, thus making those original disks inside diameter where it fits on the rim to be too big for the F3 or VFR or NC30 rim. Shown here:

F3 Rim, 93-94 rotor: You can see the inside diameter of the disc is too big

The 95-97 RR OEM disks should be the correct size to fit the VFR, F3, and NC30 rim. The all used the same 296mm size rotor with the 58mm inner diameter. This was an NC30 rim I got, but the inner bearing stop was broken and it wouldn't work, but the disks are the ones I used on old Red. I'm pretty much positive your disks will bolt right on those above mentioned 17" wheels with no problem.

My VFR rim with above pictured NC30 disks:

Now, to toss in the confusion. The 98-99 RR OEM disks were also 58mm inner diameter, but were a 310mm size rotor. When Honda went to a wider space between the forks for 98-99, that changed the offset of the rotor to meet the middle of the caliper, and had a slightly wider hub (from left to right) thus the OEM 98-99 rotors do not work on those aforementioned rims.

The caveat to using those rims, so I've researched, is to use 97-98 (pre FI) Blackbird disks, which have the 310mm size rotor, AND the correct offset and 58mm inner diameter. That's what I'm doing as we speak on my 99. F3 rim, Blackbird disks. That way I shouldn't have to shim calipers or shave material off the rim. I will however need to make new wider axle spacers left and right, which is cake.

I hope that helps, as I'm in the middle of it I haven't got the end result yet. But once I do, I'll try to make a sticky outlining both in detail.........with pics of course:eyebrows:

·
7,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
It's a bloody minefield, the previous owner fitted a three spoke 17 which all works, I think I'll stick with that!
:rotfl: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I agree. No need to change to the 6 spoke if you already have a 17". I Don't blame you one bit mate:thumb:

·
7,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Dude, you rock!

That was like asking Honda.

Thanks for your response.

Your bike should be awesome, I'm ready to see your posts after your first trackday!
Thanks Anthony, I appreciate that. I've got the fever, can't wait to get her up and running and on the track. The part that worries me is I'll finally realize how slow I am;)

More to come here:eyebrows:

·
7,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Nothing spectacular, but a few shots of the "track bike" in que for some work:thumb:

Oh, I did get the EBC Blackbird disks in from Mikeo, they bolt up, and next is to fit the rim between the forks and get the spacers measured up. Hopefully my research is correct and this mod is going to work.......Thanks Mike :D, the disks look great:thumb:

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
nice. nice. nice. :shades:

kinda makes me wanna get into the bike-building, thread-starting, parts-hoarding biznass too :idea:

41 - 60 of 612 Posts