Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

581 - 600 of 612 Posts

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #582
Hi Ian

How did you clean your top yoke so well and leave it in that fantastic condition?

Karlo
Just plain elbow grease my friend. The clamp is aluminum, so it sands up pretty nice. I used a 220 grit initially to remove the clear paint or anodizing that was on the top, then went up to 600 grit with water. I left it a "brushed" look, as I didn't want to have it polished to where the sun would reflect off it and blind me.

Depending on the finish you want, it can look brushed or polished, which is based on how fine you go with your sandpaper.

Here are some pictures of both my clamp re-do's:

The track bike:

The road bike:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Bro bro bro what the hell man... What's Nike slogan? "just do it..." Just do it and book a track day already. Agent 99 got to stretch her legs...

·
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #586
Bro bro bro what the hell man... What's Nike slogan? "just do it..." Just do it and book a track day already. Agent 99 got to stretch her legs...
Sunday, May 14th (mothers day) NYST Rookie Weekend is on the books. 3 of us so far, plus my buddy who instructs for the penguin school. He's promised some one to one time with me as well. AS LONG AS IT DOESNT R.A.I.N.!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Nice, I'm so envious... I do not know if I'll be able to attend any track days this year. With the new addition to the family, my wife will be out of work for five months before sending the baby off to a day care. So for five months I have all the house hold bills. I just finished having a discussion with her today about our monthly expenses. Our check book will never balance out at the end of the month without going into our savings based on our spending habits. So just like I'm asking her to stop with the unnecessary expense, I too have to try to do the same.

·
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #589
Sunday, May 14th (mothers day) NYST Rookie Weekend is on the books. 3 of us so far, plus my buddy who instructs for the penguin school. He's promised some one to one time with me as well. AS LONG AS IT DOESNT R.A.I.N.!
It rained :crying

·
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #590
So another scheduled first ever track day went to sh!t, as we couldn't justify the 6 hour round trip with rain in the forecast. My track day hauler friend Dave rides a motard with slicks, and I'm only a rookie so my first ever track day can't be questionable with rain. Oh well, we'll reschedule again....In the mean time that allows a few more wrenches to be turned on RRX. She's being difficult at the moment, as I'm chasing a dying #1 cylinder. Sometimes it fires, sometimes it doesn't. I've done just about everything anyone could suggest, and I think I've got it down to a dodgy coil. Or at least an intermittent spark situation. More on that later.

Here's the limited pics I've got of the Healtech GiPro Shift indicator. Installation was very easy, as the instructions were very clear and easy to follow. It's plug and play with a twist.

They have a harnes that connects right in line on the speed sensor. Easy peasy. BUT, they also have a black/green wire that they want to be connected directly to the tacho (yellow on my RRX) wire coming out of the ECU. They provide one of those press fit plastic clip type junctions.

I don't like those things, so I was able to locate the yellow wire out of the ECU and followed it to the pulse generator 2 pin connector. Sorry for no pics of the spade, but I removed it from the connector and soldered the Healtech supplied black/green right onto the yellow spade, and popped it back into the connector. Lean, clean, and mean :grin

It's not in an ideal location, but it's in plain view and it's not blocking anything. The indicator came with double sided tape on the back and right side. I decided to keep the protective layer on the tape and used some beefy 3m hook and loop stuff just in case I decide to move it. Set up was VERY simple, and quick. Basically ride the bike at double idle speed not exceeding 4K, shifting when it promts you, get to sixth, job done. My street was kinda short to be in 6th gear at 3500rpm so I had to truck it over to Dave's house. Job done!

·
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #591
Oh, and I'm in the preliminary stages of fitting 600RR coil overs, see if that changes my spark issue. A whole set with sub harness can be had from fleaBay for under $60. Why the fcuck not, right :idunno:

Thanks @Mikeo :wink

·
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #593
As you don't need a speedo, one suggestion would be to cover the clock in matt black fablon and stick the gear indicator on that.
Good suggestion! I would expect that as I get (or ever get) track days under my belt, some sort of aftermarket dash will be installed, or I'll do another F4i mod. They're smaller.

But you're right, no need for the speedo dial, with different gearing installed it's already off by a ton.

·
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #596
What bike are those from... hold up, I think you stated, "stay tuned"
After some short internet research, I concluded that the 600RR was a prime candidate for this mod. They aren't too tall, fit relatively well, and look the part.

I bought 2 harnesses, 1 from the older 600RR and one from a newer one. The one in the pic is that of the newer one. The older one however is the one that I used. Special thanks to @89forever for posting his wire diagram. Worked a treat for me!

I took the harnes apart and needed to modify it a bit. Had to solder on some spade connectors, and actually used a 6 pin connector as a 4 pin connector so I didn't have to cut any of the 600's harness wires. I used the connector to connect to a sub harness that uses the OEM primary coil wires. That way, if this mod gets old or fails, I can go right back to stock without any issues.

This is the main coil harness, not the white connector in the middle:

Plugs into my main harness and the primary wires. I color coded then to somewhat correspond to OEM:

I still had the fuel tank off and only a little fuel in the carbs. The beast came to life immediately, with barely any fuel in them. It's probably just the honeymoon, but she started right up and ran the best so far.

This mod seems like a winner!

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
And so begins the preliminary coil over plug mod.
I might've missed it (since PWs don't read very well), but what is the purpose of this "mod", and what do you intend to gain by it?

·
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #598
I might've missed it (since PWs don't read very well), but what is the purpose of this "mod", and what do you intend to gain by it?
The gain (if you can even call it that) is more space under the airbox, presumably better reliability in the coils, and having an excuse to change something. No power gains, maybe a few oz's in weight savings??, but I thought I had a dodgy coil so I figured for under $50 I would do the mod. Kept me out of trouble for the last week anyway.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ian, glad it was of use.

The theory behind the Coil On Plug mod is better coil discharge per cycle. Therefore giving a (potential) stronger spark.

In theory anyway....

581 - 600 of 612 Posts