Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Been searching here and the interweb and it seems there is varied opinion about which front rim for which blade etc. I have put a CBR600 (90 something can't remember now but the rim most searches seemed to recommend) in my 1993 and had to get machining done and all sorts in order to get it right.

I also have a 1996 Fireblade which I also want to go the 17" route and was after the acutal CORRECT information as to which rims slot right in. I would be thinking this would be the place to sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

While I am about to start working on the 96, I have already had a latest spec Ohlins TTX modified by Ohlins tech to fit my 93, and the same guy also put fully adjustable Andreani cartridges to suit a 2008 Fireblade into my 93 fork stanchions, this required some skillful trickery to get all the adjustments to be able done from the top along with custom fork caps allowing for such etc. Probably not going to go to the same extent with the 96 but first step is the 17" front.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi guys,
Been searching here and the interweb and it seems there is varied opinion about which front rim for which blade etc. I have put a CBR600 (90 something can't remember now but the rim most searches seemed to recommend) in my 1993 and had to get machining done and all sorts in order to get it right.

I also have a 1996 Fireblade which I also want to go the 17" route and was after the acutal CORRECT information as to which rims slot right in. I would be thinking this would be the place to sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

While I am about to start working on the 96, I have already had a latest spec Ohlins TTX modified by Ohlins tech to fit my 93, and the same guy also put fully adjustable Andreani cartridges to suit a 2008 Fireblade into my 93 fork stanchions, this required some skillful trickery to get all the adjustments to be able done from the top along with custom fork caps allowing for such etc. Probably not going to go to the same extent with the 96 but first step is the 17" front.

Did you search the forum?
I think the F3 wheel is the one you want.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did that on the 1993 and had no end of drama getting brakes to line up correctly, ended up having to get the disc mounting face of the rim machined in order for everything to line up correctly. Trying to avoid having to go through that hassle again.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Did that on the 1993 and had no end of drama getting brakes to line up correctly, ended up having to get the disc mounting face of the rim machined in order for everything to line up correctly. Trying to avoid having to go through that hassle again.

I thought that was only a problem on the early Blades though, because of the speedo drive?

Quick search found this.
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/articles-honda-fireblade/97745-help-900rr-wheel-swap.html#post1099295

"Yes it's a straight swap for an CBR 600f3 (95-98) wheel. Swap discs straight over and use your original spacers."

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Last post of that same thread.
"So i went ahead and bought a VFR 750 front wheel off ebay and it bolted right with no problems. I swaped the rotors and it bolted up perfectly."

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the mechanical speedo is a problem, but not that would effect the rim spacing and brakes you would think. Thus if you just don't use the speedo and cable, which I haven't, but I still had to get a lot of machining done to a brand new F3 wheel in order for brakes to line up correctly on the 1993 Fireblade.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Yes the mechanical speedo is a problem, but not that would effect the rim spacing and brakes you would think. Thus if you just don't use the speedo and cable, which I haven't, but I still had to get a lot of machining done to a brand new F3 wheel in order for brakes to line up correctly.

Yes, on the early Blade.
The '96 should take the F3 wheel or one of the VFR750 wheels.
Can you borrow an F3 wheel to try?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not so simple as I live in the boonies, will get Team Honda to do the work for me on this one when/if I can source the right bits and get them sent to them.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Not so simple as I live in the boonies, will get Team Honda to do the work for me on this one when/if I can source the right bits and get them sent to them.

With the F3 wheel I don't think there is any "work" involved - pull the 16" out, swap the discs onto the F3, slide it back in.
Almost any wheel can be made to fit though so why not go with something more modern?
Are you going to be racing this one?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think I would bother racing either of them to be honest, but the 1993 has the most suspension work so it would probably be that one anyway. Be more of a fun Sunday fang in the mountains bike, maybe a track day at some point. Actually we might even take the new SP and my 1993 or 1996 to the track and put Jamie Stauffer on both of them to see the lap time difference :)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I don't think I would bother racing either of them to be honest, but the 1993 has the most suspension work so it would probably be that one anyway. Be more of a fun Sunday fang in the mountains bike, maybe a track day at some point. Actually we might even take the new SP and my 1993 or 1996 to the track and put Jamie Stauffer on both of them to see the lap time difference :)

Now that would be cool!
But if he's going to ride the 900RR is has to be with the 16" wheel :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there a tyre that can cope with someone that rides as hard as Jamie in 16" though...? Qualifier II is not brought into Australia, and a bloke like him would make mince meat out of even that spec of rubber anyway.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have used the cbr600 wheel mentioned, and the vfr400nc30 front wheel in my 94/5 foxeye blade.... Same spacers, spindle and discs, just swapped wheel.....can dig out a part number for the wheel if it helps...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ok

But will be a few days - the original front end with Cbr600/vfr400nc30 front wheel is stored offsite (have a cbr1000rr radial upside down front end in my fox eye blade now)...

Will try to sort over the weekend for you...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ok - so not sure what these numbers mean, but they are stamped on the 17" front wheel in my standard 94/95 blade front end.

1/5 in a little circle inside the spoke
87/1 in a little circle inside the spoke
42R on the outside of the spoke, quite large, with rectangular border

I suspect 42R is the part number, 87/1 and 1/5 might represent date stamps for manufacture..

Can anyone shed light on this??

When bought this rim, was told it was CBR600 (similar age to my blade) so take some basic measurements from your current rim to check when querying breakers (or sellers)...

Spindle size
Width between wheel bearings (outside edge to outside edge) across the centre of the wheel,
Width between disc mounting point (across the cente of the wheel)
And
Disc bolt spacing

If they are the same, check the wheel size (written inside one of the spokes) and you should be ok...

.......unless your front end is not what you think it is...

SB

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Ok - so not sure what these numbers mean, but they are stamped on the 17" front wheel in my standard 94/95 blade front end.

1/5 in a little circle inside the spoke
87/1 in a little circle inside the spoke
42R on the outside of the spoke, quite large, with rectangular border

I suspect 42R is the part number, 87/1 and 1/5 might represent date stamps for manufacture..

Can anyone shed light on this??

When bought this rim, was told it was CBR600 (similar age to my blade) so take some basic measurements from your current rim to check when querying breakers (or sellers)...

Spindle size
Width between wheel bearings (outside edge to outside edge) across the centre of the wheel,
Width between disc mounting point (across the cente of the wheel)
And
Disc bolt spacing

If they are the same, check the wheel size (written inside one of the spokes) and you should be ok...

.......unless your front end is not what you think it is...

SB
Most non-electrical or plastic parts don't have part numbers on them.
The '87 would make it an F1 wheel - Is it 2.5" or 3.5" wide?

All front 17"s that run the 120 or 130 front tyre are likely to be the same size - 3.5" by 17".

1 - 20 of 101 Posts