Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all once again,
My latest conundrum with my 01 929 is a new tapping sound coming from the right side of the bike. At first I was thinking CCT, or cam chain itself, but the tapping sound disappears after the bike is warmed up. Even if the bike is allowed to cool to 100F (barely readable on the temp gauge) and started back up the noise is nowhere to be found. When the tapping is present it does speed up with revs, but this no sound when warm is really throwing me for a loop.

·
Registered
896 Posts
remember the cases on these engines are very thin. when the bike sits over night the oil settles in the sump, the top end of the engine may have been fairly dry till the oil circulated through the engine. if you think you have a serious problem get it looked at. doesnt sound like that though if the sound goes away

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hello all once again,
My latest conundrum with my 01 929 is a new tapping sound coming from the right side of the bike. At first I was thinking CCT, or cam chain itself, but the tapping sound disappears after the bike is warmed up. Even if the bike is allowed to cool to 100F (barely readable on the temp gauge) and started back up the noise is nowhere to be found. When the tapping is present it does speed up with revs, but this no sound when warm is really throwing me for a loop.
Possibly an oversize valve clearance as they tighten up at operating temp.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the next step may be to tear it to the valves... The point about oil circulation is very valid also... It doesn't matter how cold the engine gets as long as it has been run previously in the day. Once it sits overnight the tapping resumes the next morning until it is warm again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts