Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
I think I first saw that thing on Modern Marvels on the Discovery Channel a few years ago. I want one but there's no way I'd ever be able to fly it. Supersonic manuevers, hidden weapons, almost completely stealth (shows up no bigger than a tennis ball on radar) who wouldn't want one?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
http://ghostrider.homestead.com/Langley_Fighters.html

Pretty amazing machine. Has anyone seen the Discovery channel program where Lockheed faces Boeing to bid on the JSF project?

Whatever happened to the BOeing JSF?
We lost the competition. We were ahead at every milestone the DOD asked us for. On paper and in performance our plane was far superior to the Lock Mart's entry. Problem was our plane was ugly. It was dubbed "Monica" for it's gaping open mouth for the intake system. So because it was ugly and determined by certain military circles that Boeing had an unaffair amount of military aircraft contracts, Lock Mart would close their division if they lost, the DOD gave it to Lock Mart. Hardly matters anymore. All the skuttlebutt lately points to the scraping of both the JSF and the F-22. So we'll see.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
It would seem wasteful to dump it after all that investment.
Welcome to military aircraft development in the U.S. :rotfl:

I have a set of "Bomber trading cards" showing about 20 major SS bombers developed over the past 35 years that never made it past 2 or 3 prototype units. Most cost over 15 billion each to develop before being scrapped before production. Several took so long to develop that they were obsolete by the time they had a working test prototype.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Crash said:
We lost the competition. We were ahead at every milestone the DOD asked us for. On paper and in performance our plane was far superior to the Lock Mart's entry. Problem was our plane was ugly. It was dubbed "Monica" for it's gaping open mouth for the intake system. So because it was ugly and determined by certain military circles that Boeing had an unaffair amount of military aircraft contracts, Lock Mart would close their division if they lost, the DOD gave it to Lock Mart. Hardly matters anymore. All the skuttlebutt lately points to the scraping of both the JSF and the F-22. So we'll see.
It sucks that Boeing lost that contract. They brought their JSF simulator to our hanger and our pilots and maintenance people got to mess with it alot for a couple days. The thing would have been bad ass if it had been allowed to be produced..

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not unlike what Diefenbaker did to the Avro Arrow in Canada in the 50's.

http://www.exn.ca/FlightDeck/Aircraft/Milestones/avroarrow.cfm

abtech said:
Welcome to military aircraft development in the U.S. :rotfl:

I have a set of "Bomber trading cards" showing about 20 major SS bombers developed over the past 35 years that never made it past 2 or 3 prototype units. Most cost over 15 billion each to develop before being scrapped before production. Several took so long to develop that they were obsolete by the time they had a working test prototype.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts