Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what grade of titanium Yoshimura use with their exhaust systems??

Speficially with a Jap made Tri-Oval slip-on for a K6 Gixxer Thou? I need to get a lamba sensor bung welded onto mine.

Also do they have any kind of treatment on the finish that might affect the weld when exposed to the the inert gas. ANy titanium welding hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Guys

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Have you welded titanium before? Use GTAW (ie TIG)

Basically you just have to keep the inert gas completely covering the surface until it cools below 260 deg C. Depending on the application this is done in a cabinet or with gas dams.

Try going here Welding titanium - a guide to best practice. Section 1. Introduction and contents though you will have to register on the site to see and obtain a pdf copy of their pubication.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
You don't normally put the probe in the muffler. It normally goes into the pipe just after where the headers come together.
I don't know if the GSXR is a full ti system but on the 929/954 the mid pipe is steel.
You could also make up a steel plate with a steel thread in it and clamp or glue that around the ti pipe or even use one of the metal putties to "weld" the bung on.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
bladeracer's answer is much better than mine! I saw your reference to titanium welding and that's all I was thinking about.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Welding a ti bung onto the ti pipe is the ideal if it's a show bike but it's only one way of addressing the problem.
If you aren't already aware, the bung _must_ go in the upper half of the pipe and preferably no more than 35 degrees from vertical as they're sensitive to moisture.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Yoshi Exhausts - Titanium Grade?? Welding an exhaust bung

Thanks for all the info guys

My K6 Yoshi slip-on has about 250mm of Ti tube between the muffler & the clamp (which also contains the SET valve). I planned to install the O2 sensor about 50mm past the SET valve where thaere is room between the wheel & shock. The K6's downpipes & midpipes are all Ti & there is feck all room between where the pipes converge & where the slip-on clamps on so It might not be possible to mount the sensor there.

Didnt know about the critical angle to angle the sensor at - Cheers Bladeracer! Dont know if its possible to get that angle but I'll do the best thats available.

I plan to also install a bung on my 954 midpipe which should be alot easier seeing as its Stainless Steel. Will try out my new Motty AFR toy on both bikes!

Not so sure about the Epoxy Putty / Chemical Metal avenue. I have often tried this to repair exhaust & it always would give up after a few weeks - I'd prefer a pro job really.

I've never welded Ti before but I have an old set of 954 down pipes I can practice on if I can get a loan of a welding kit. Also getting a hold of a proper Ti lambda sensor bung is neither easy nor cheap :(

Any more hints appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I've seen the ti threaded bungs with bolts on Ebay.
My all ti Akrapovic system came with an M12 bung and I've looked for a 12mm probe with zero luck. I can only assume it was only designed for a pyrometer rather than air/fuel measurement so I'll have to put an M12 bung on it as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts