Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 CBR1000RR 12,500 miles, valves were just checked and all were in specs, fresh synthetic 10w40 oil and Honda Filter, this is a video of me riding a loop in a sub here, you can hear the tick, is this truly normal??? Everyone says yes, any thoughts would be great. I';ve even changed exhaust gaskets thinking that might be it, no change, It runs great and no power loss what so ever, has done this since I bought the bike with 9,000 miles, I know the guy I bought it from and it was babied.
YouTube - Loop 1 reverse "cbr Tick"

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
normal...unfortunately...mine hasn't started doin it yet, but it only has like 6000 on it, so we'll see

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
the same kind of ticking sound came up on my buddies TL1000S right before the oil pump whent out and spun a crank bearing...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If that was gonna happen I'm sure it would have done it awhile ago, I have put over 3,000 miles with the same noise.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Wow 1krr's tick that bad. Wow I thought my 929 ticked when it was cold, but that was quite obvious even with the road noise distortion . I was thinking it sounded like the timing chain tensioner. Because you can hear it most when you accelerate and also when you let off the throttle.:idunno:

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 02 954 had a tick similar to that just not as bad, turns out my valves were a couple thousands out and the cam chain was streched replaced and adjusted, Now no tick. I would check the cam chain tensioner or even the chain it self.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sorry, I didn't read closely enough. I was going to suggest exhaust gaskets too, but luckily I read your first post again. Could there be a leak somewhere else in the exhaust system, at one of the joints, or a hole somewhere?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have a header for an 07 CBR1000RR I think its the same as the 04, I will eventually get around to changing it just to rule that out as well. But for now I can't hear it at all with the ipod turned up!

·
Registered
254 Posts
It doesn't sound like exhaust. The sound of the exhaust drowns out the tick. I would get the head and cct triple checked. I wonder though if it might not be a minor piston slap. If the heads come back clean as a whistle, might be time to look at piston pins, and rod bearings.

Can't really tell under power, (exhaust noise) but low/no load really makes me wonder about piston pins. :idunno:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't like the sound of that thing. I can tell you that my 929 ticks but doesn't sound at all like that.

I have 35k on mine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts