Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1988, I bought a left-over (still new) 1984 bright red V65 Sabre. The bike was awsome. I enjoyed riding it but never really learned much about bikes back then. Anyway, I had a scare on it and sold it to buy a ring for my fiance. A choice I would later regret two-fold

Anyway, I have always wanted to replace it and I got to test ride a '84 Sabre tonight in pretty much MINT condition, along with a CBR1000. WOW, those bikes where great back in their day, but they just cant compare with todays machines. I cant bring myself to buy that bike now even though it has a lot of sentimental value. The memories are just a lot better than actual ride in comparison and the differences in my other current bikes. I think I would get into trouble fast on it. (Brakes and handleing are just no where near the same)

I guess this is not news to most, but it was an eye opener for an old coot like me ...

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Ya, I've found the same thing with cars. Used to be into muscle cars, had a 66 Mustang, 67 camaro, 69 camaro, etc. Last 5 years or so I've made enough money to drive new vehicles, and whenever I get in a friends older muscle car or hot rod, it feels so crude. Downright scary sometimes, 8' drum brakes dont do *#$& when the morons on the freeway decide now is a good time to slam on the brakes

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
They are fun bikes for what they were made to do and back in the day they were damn fast....still are really, just in a different way. The Magna's and Sabre's are very popular to this day.
We actually picked up a Super Magna yesterday....Honda made only a small number of them and it's pretty cool. I'd never heard of them until yesterday though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
It is pretty hard to point out to someone that road some 20 yrs ago that the 600 or 900+ we have now is so similiar to what they use to ride bar some bells & whistles & that they need to think seriously about what they might be buying now.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Mojave954 : NH, here is a web site for ya.  
http://www.supermagna.com/

I have a Super as well, 87.  Nice bike, take it out every once in awhile but, it doesn't compare to the 9.
Kewl. Thanks!
This one is an 88. I guess there were about 3000 of them made.

·
Registered
502 Posts
This thread brings to mind a saying my dad has about the bikes of yesteryear - 'Good ol' days, my ass, those things sucked.'

I still have my 1985 RZ350, though. I won my first club race trophy on it in 1986 as a novice at Willow Springs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts