Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

ZL6 Rider, New Member!

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  st0mpy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Everybody!

I think I am still a new rider with a lot to learn, even though I have been riding every day, rain or shine, since I bought my bike in the middle of december last year. I ride, and maintain, an 86 Kawasaki ZL600 Eliminator. <3 I am a member of the zl-oa forum(Reptar), a lot of great knowledgeable guys(and a few babes) there, they have helped me a lot with my dive into motorcycling.

I have come to the fireblade forum firstly, because a friend who rides a fireblade often talks highly about this place in our occasional tech talks. Also, today I traded my room mates ragged 2000 GTI 1.8L Turbo, for a 96 CBR600 F3, so I came right over!
The PO rebuilt the motor after a spun bearing, he then couldn't get the carbs right, and let it sit. Now it's mine to get running for my room mate to use for commuting to work.
Great timing too because My bike just left the lift! I just installed a manual timing tensioner, rebuilt the carbs (excluding the diaphragms), replaced all gaskets in the cooling system, and adjusted the valves. Man does she sound happy!:D I have yet to even do a sync past the bench yet =P
I'll throw up a picture of my ZL6, and some of the newly aquired CBR.

My next step is to find a manual for the CBR, then I'll be tearing into the bike to get a little familiar with it, then into those carbs!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
:welcome: Good stuff! Sounds like your pretty handy at turning wrenches :D

Welcome to the .org, make yourself at home (I do...I'm practically nekkid right now...)

#3 ·
:welcome: to the .org! The Eliminators were definitely some fun bikes!!! There are often a good bit of different discussions going on, not all will pertain to your specific model, but a lot of them will have useful info anyway. Even when they are completely useless, they are normally chock full of entertainment and drama =)

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Now I don't feel so reserved while posting without any pants, **** pants.

I will copy over some pics in the morning and make a thread with a few questions for the fine folks here familiar with the F3.

The PO claimed the bike had a spun bearing when he obtained it(without a cluster, unknown miles). PO spent a ton of cash having a shop rebuild the motor, then tried to set up his carbs. Having no success in getting the bike to run properly, PO bought a brand new rack of carbs. Failing a second time, he let the bike sit.(three months now since then?)

Now it's my turn, after looking at a lot of other things on the bike, I checked the pilot screws on the old rack PO first "tuned". I was right at assuming they were no where near correct. ([edit] Plugs looked VERY rich) Instead of the 1 1/2 turns out, Carb1 was at 3, Carb2&3 at 6!!, and Carb4 at ZERO turns out.
I will get a D shaped pilot bit tomorrow and see if the newer rack that was on the bike is similar. I can't wait.:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.