Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a co-worker who is adamant that a 2012 ZX-14R with a full muzzy exhaust (so around 210hp at the crank?) is a faster bike than an 1199 Panigale that has a full exhaust, tune, etc that has been dyno'd at 228hp at the crank and 208 at the wheel.

Someone explain to me my co-worker's logic on this one. The zx-14R is outnumbered in EVERY aspect. He keeps repeating that the zx-14r has the legs to just keep going and going.... and that is his argument. what on earth is he on about lol? The 1199 weighs in at like 410lbs or so, making it over 100lbs lighter than the ninja. I just need some confirmation that I'm not stupid for thinking that the 1199 in that spec would monster a zx14 in anything but a 1/4 mile race where the ninja's weight and length give in the advantage.

I kept referencing power-to-weight - the whole reason why formula 1 cars and motogp bikes and any race car is faster than other vehicles, but he couldn't understand

·
Registered
564 Posts
Becuz da zx14 be badass bro! Datz why it be always winnin and stuff. They got the bigger motor and be killin da busa's and stuff ryee??

Only way that the 14 will win is if the front wheel of the duck will not stay down, then on the top end it was not re-geared for the higher speeds with a simple sprocket change (the opposite way of us low hp folk, lower rear and/or bigger front).

Depends on the race I guess but the duck should surpass in everything but maybe an 1/8th or 1/4 because of the wheelie/grip differences.

:twocents:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Becuz da zx14 be badass bro! Datz why it be always winnin and stuff. They got the bigger motor and be killin da busa's and stuff ryee??
I guess this is ironic because that is actually how said co-worker talks and argues. those are nearly his identical words :rotfl:

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
in the real world this race could go either way. stock both bikes run low 10 sec 1/4 miles. the zx might be a faster top speed bike. power to weight ratio is obviously a huge factor but its certainly not the only thing that determines performance. i promise you itd be a very close race unless of course you threw in one curve... : )

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
The real world is often very different to a set of numbers on a data sheet, gearing makes a huge difference as does the ability to actually transfer the power to the track, if you ride two bikes with same same standing quarter time one will often feel much faster, I still however think that the Ducati would win.

·
Registered
720 Posts
In this thread 1199 with a full exhaust has been in a local dyno shootout that was won by a 2012 14R with full exhaust and second butterflies removed. The 1199 were 20 hp short of what the 14R put to ground. With longer wheel base, better aerodynamics and heavyer front end on the 14R the ducati won't have a change in straight line.

If the Ducati doesn't have any engine modifications then it really doesn't have 210 rwhp ? You should put your co-workers 14 on the same dyno and see what it puts to the ground. Could be little surprised ?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in the real world this race could go either way. stock both bikes run low 10 sec 1/4 miles. the zx might be a faster top speed bike. power to weight ratio is obviously a huge factor but its certainly not the only thing that determines performance. i promise you itd be a very close race unless of course you threw in one curve... : )
I actually read that the zx14's run in the 9's. :crap:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts